Ch1

Lucy Westenra was thinking about Mina Murray again. Mina, her best friend, comparable to a princess. She was a humble yet highly talented medical student. With sweet eyes and a voice like honey, there was nothing to dislike of her. Easy for Lucy to say. She'd never say it outright, nor inwardly, but her actions tell a thousand words. Lucy Westenra, a rich city girl, was in love with Mina Murray.
Lucy walked over to the window and reflected on her beautiful surroundings. She had always loved mysterious London with its long rows of estates. It was a place that encouraged her tendency to feel so composed and regal. Even if she was simply a rich girl in Victorian London.
Out of her thoughts, she saw something in the distance, or rather someone. It was the small figure of her beloved, Mina Murray.
Lucy gulped. She glanced at her own reflection. She was a demure girl but bold in betting times. She enjoyed going to parties with Mina, even if it meant dragging the latter with her. With fair skin, a shorter stature and blond hair with natural curls, men were constantly trying to court her; some have even sent proposals. If only they knew that Lucy had her eye on someone else, none of which, the men whose eyes were on her. Her friends saw her as a caring but crazy girl, mad with feelings of love. Once, she had even bet all three ribbons on a man at a fencing event. She lost.
But not even such a person who had beauty for days and confidence for even longer, was prepared for what Mina had in store this evening.
The wind blew like the blazes were to follow, making Lucy shiver slightly from the chill. Lucy grabbed a book that had been strewn nearby; flipping through the pages aimlessly, awaiting Mina as her figure grew closer in the window.
As Lucy stepped outside and Mina came closer, she could see the sad glint in her eye. Mina gazed with the sadness of an owl who could not fly. She said, in hushed tones, "Hey, Luce..."
Lucy looked back, still cold and still fumbling the book. "Mina, hey, what's wrong? Did something happen?" Lucy asked, concerned. Her concern only worsens at the small glimmer in Mina's eyes. She was crying.
"Mina? Oh, Mina!" Lucy cries, arms outstretched. "Come here, darling. It's okay, you're okay. I'm here, Mina, right here."
"Oh, Lucy!" Mina sobs, hands covering her face at the nickname. It's been a nickname Lucy's used for her since girlhood, it brought a sense of comfort. Yet more comfort came from Lucy's arms as they wrapped around her. "Lucy, what did Charlotte tell you?" Charlotte Williams, was a close friend of Mina's. Not best friend, however; that honor went to Lucy. Mina, unaware it is painful to her, reminds Lucy of it just about everyday.
"What did she say to you?" Mina asks again. A harsher tone coats her usual soothing, kind voice. "I worry ... that it was for you to stay far from me."
    "Hey, don't worry. It's nothing." Lucy urges. "Her words wouldn't do anything, don't go there, dearest."
    "Still, she didn't, did she?" Mina asks, voice breaking, in turn, breaking Lucy's heart.
Lucy shifts awkwardly, having that exact thing done to her. Her blond hair falls over both the girls shoulders. Lucy can only hope Mina cannot see her expression in the hug they are in. The hair hides nothing, nor does the hug. Mina's eyes shoot up and her posture is immediately straightened, pulling away from Lucy. "She didn't! Did she? Oh, no, no, no!" Tears welling up in her eyes again.
"No, it's perfectly alright. I don't mind. The woman is a church-bell, I would expect no less from her." Her eyes settle on the brunette in front of her, a look of worry plastered over her features. Charlotte had taken Lucy, quite harshly, away from Mina less than a fortnight ago. Charlotte had cornered Lucy while expressing a great disfavor for Lucy and Mina's friendship. The woman even went so far as to call Lucy a Mary Ann, even if she is a woman. Lucy supposed the only reason Mina brought it up today was due to external factors. She was right.
"Besides," Lucy sighs inwardly, debating whether she should continue what she was going to say. She decides to. "Only hell would bar my way to you."
Mina forces a shaky smile, tears still brimming. "Thank you." Mina whispers meekly. A step forward and her arms are around Lucy again. It's ever slightly awkward with Lucy being four inches shorter. It's not much, yet still enough to catch Lucy off guard. With Mina's arms around her shoulders and her face buried in her neck, Lucy hesitates before hugging Mina back. Soft sobs escape Mina, hurting Lucy's heart with every tear lost.
"You must find me terribly of the heart, I apologize."  Mina murmurs, loosening her grip slightly. A feeling of sadness came over Lucy, just for a moment.
"If we are to talk of those led by the heart, one should point to me." Lucy replied. Now, understand that the two are talking of two different meanings. Mina, saying she is highly emotional and is led by so. Lucy, refers to her being led by love, not just emotions.
"You're kind to humor me, Lucy." Mina said softly. "Shall we go inside? You are shaking. What I presume is the winds doing."
"It's not kindness, Mina. Love." Lucy breathes. "Are you cold? Here, come, let's get you warmed up." She says, taking Mina's hand and leading her into the Westenra estate.