Ch26

"Lucy?"
"Good day, my love." Lucy chimed as she walked in the door. "Are you busy this upcoming Sunday? I have been invited to a carnival, and I was wondering if you would accompany me as my plus one. Please?"
Mina smiled at the girl in front of her. It was quite rare that Lucy came in with such determination. "'My love?'" Mina questioned. "We've only been with each other a little over a fortnight. Already with the names of endearments?"
Lucy only nodded. "So, will you join me? I am loath to go alone."
Mina's face fell. Her work was piling up and Mr. Van Helsing had some high expectations for; of which she had all intentions of meeting. "Luce, you know I'd love to but I have wo—"
"No. None of that. You're destined for a night of stress and anxiety. Come with me, Mina. Let me spoil you! You never let me spoil you!" Lucy complained. "Really, Mina. You must do things for yourself some time."
"Lucy..." Mina said in protest. "You know I would love to join you but you also know–"
"That your work is incedulislousy important to you." Lucy finished. "I know, Mina, I know. But really, it's ridiculous how much time you spend over your papers. Please, my darling. Let me spoil you tonight."
Mina paused, bringing her chin to rest in her hand as she sat down. Her eyes focused on some distant object and a small smile tugged at her lips. Lucy loved that smile. It was the one she made whenever she was deep in thought. It also meant that on most occasions, Lucy would be for a long night of a talk of science and research among other things. Lucy would listen to her speak of medicine for hours without understanding a single word just to hear the passion in Mina's voice.
A space before the brunette finally spoke. "Fine. But we mustn't be out late." she sighed.
Lucy became ecstatic. "Honestly, Mina? You'll come with me to the carnival?" A nod. "Oh wonderful!" Lucy cheered as she threw her arms around her love. Lucy began peppering Mina's face with fast paced kisses. "You have no idea how excited I am for you to come with me!"
"Oh, I think I do." Mina laughed as she smiled into Lucy's kisses. "I really think I do."

____________________

The fair was bustling with people and noise. People's chatter was a jumble of voices and laughter. Music from fair rides and erected tents rose into the air as birds chirped in their own melodies. The air was a comfortable warmth with a cool breeze. The sky was clear as ever and the sun shone fondly upon the carnival. Smells of exotic foods wafted around the girls who were walking arm in arm together.
"It's wonderful, isn't it? Aren't you glad you came along?" Lucy asked the taller girl, having to look up at her love.
Mina nearly scoffed. "Only because you'd have me dragged out my house to be here."
"And that's because you'd be stubborn and continue to overwork yourself." Lucy chided. "Honestly. Pulling all-nighters for your work, no matter how important, isn't healthy."
Mina sighed. "Your point?"
"Mina!" Lucy scolded. "Don't be ridiculous!" The taller of the two couldn't help but laugh at her lover's annoyed expression. She knew that Lucy cared a dreadfully awful amount for her, yet it still brought laughter from her. The blond was quite cute when determined; of course Mina would never tell her that.
"Sorry, Luce." Mina said between laughs. Lucy only looked at her with awestruck eyes, mouth slightly opened. "Luce?"
"You're really cute."
"No I'm not." came her immediate response. She spoke without thinking but didn't think much after it left her.
"Yes you are. You're adorable." Lucy shot back with a smile.
"I'm taller than you, I'm just a pretty grown-up looking person overall, so it wouldn't fit. Besides, I haven't been called cute since I was really little. I'm not cute." Mina reiterated. She found she didn't enjoy being called cute.
"Well," Lucy mumbled. "Am I cute?"
"Yes. You're the cutest person ever."
"How so?" Lucy asked, interlocking her and Mina's arms.
"Because you're just so small and delicate, and you're so endearing to me. You make me so happy and I just want to care for you and make you feel as happy as you make me. You mean so much to me and I love looking at your face because it's the cutest face I've ever seen. It's the face of the one I love." Mina said, rattling on.
"Well, you're not small, but I could say the same to you. But you won't take the compliment." Lucy mumbled, pouting and squeezing Mina's arm.
"You think I'm endearing?"
'Oh my days.' Lucy rolled her eyes before responding. "You are wonderful and brave and clever and sweet and kind and funny and affectionate and breathtakingly beautiful. You mustn't forget that. It isn't as well as what you've spoken about me but you know I've never been very word wise." Mina laughed and turned to Lucy, snaking her arms around the smaller woman's waist. "What are you — oh!" Lucy exclaimed as Mina picked her up and whirled her a circle.
"My moon and my stars. I love you, my dear Lucy." Mina whispered, letting Lucy back down.
"I love the same." Lucy replied as her feet touched the ground. "Mina, lean close, I have something to confess." Mina obeyed with a curious smile. "I would very much like to kiss you, but noted where we are, you must owe me some when we get back."
Mina giggled at the 'confession'. "Of course, love."