Ch18

"Never mind then, Lucy." Mina whispered. "Are you busy tonight? Would you like to go out?" Mina asked, changing the topic suddenly.
    Lucy thought for a moment. She didn't recall having any plans but even if she did, she would simply get Catherine to clear them. "You know, I feel as though I fancy some ice cream this afternoon, shall we go to the square? The vendor will not yet have closed at this hour." Mina nodded in agreement excitedly. She then stopped, her face falling. "Mina?"
    "Jonathan said he had some business to do at the square today. Forgive but I do not wish to run into him today. I fear he will accuse me of the same thing he did in my dream."
    Lucy's arms came up slightly, fighting the urge to embrace her friend again. "Well, suppose we do run into him at the shops, I'llI protect you!" Lucy giggled. "No harm shall come to you as long as I am by your side. Besides, it's a simple outing of friends, what more could he take from it?" Mina shifted, knowing it could be quite a lot.
Mina stared at her for a full minute, and Lucy recognized the expression. It was one she often wore when she was at war with herself. After a long silence, she let out a sigh and smiled at her friend. Oh, that smile; Mina has many smiles, but of all of them, the smile she blessed Lucy with at that moment is her favorite. It is crooked, with the left corner of her mouth ascending slightly higher than the right. Her head tilts to the side, and her dark eyes soften and seem to melt. If it were possible, Lucy would make it so that she only ever turned this smile on her for the rest of time. So in love is Lucy with it.
"Oh, all right." Mina yielded.

____________________

The two all but ran to the square together. Every head turned to stare at them as they ran past. Mina had guessed it was of the two dresses catching people's attention. Mina's dress looked expensive and quite fancy. Lucy, who wore the most elaborate dresses, also must've been quite a sight to the people of London. The two went along at such a pace that all faces were blurry, so they hardly paid them any mind. Lucy, due to her immensely complicated shoes, not to mention just bought, fell behind slightly.
"Lucy! Come, keep up!" Mina laughed, taking Lucy's hand in hers. By this time Lucy had gotten her feet under her well enough, but she was loath to let go of Mina's hand. Lucy feigned continued ignorance, and though she suspected Mina was wise to her tricks, she continued along in the lead.
In no time at all the girls had reached the square and drifted over to the ice cream vendor. Lucy's heart was beating so strong and fast that she knew Mina must be able to feel her pulse in her hand. She dreaded the moment when Mina would untwine her fingers from hers, but it never seemed to come. They ordered our ice creams, paid the vendor, and set off again all while their hands were clasped together.
The shops were all closing for the day, so the two friends contented themselves with admiring the window displays, lit with golden fire from the setting sun. After a time they found themselves drawn into a park, and finished off their frozen treats on a bench overlooking a small pond. The water danced with bright sparks of light, and Lucy felt her own heart dancing as well. The sky was brilliant red, rose-red, with clouds of pink and lavender wreathed about the vermillion sun. A few brilliant stars were already twinkling above the two.
Mina squeezed Lucy's hand on the bench, and she turned to look at her.
"Lucy..." she murmured, locking my gaze with hers. "Thank you for today. I feel that this was the loveliest afternoon I've had in quite a while. Apologies for taking you on a whim."
Lucy shook her head, dismissing her apology. How beautiful Mina looked in the light of the sunset. Her skin was highlighted with pure gold, and her eyes seemed to glow with their own light. Lucy found herself swooning over her best friend for yet another time. "Don't apologize, Mina." Lucy hushed, tucking a strand of hair behind Mina's ears. They seemed to glow a hue of pink; or perhaps it was simply the sunset playing tricks on Lucy's mind. "I should be thanking you. I would be stuck inside without things to do, so thank you for busying my mind."
"Of course." Mina smiled. Something shifted inside her. Something sweet. In an instant, Mina was much closer to Lucy then where she was before. Something was pressing against her lips. More rather, someone. Lucy.
"M–Mina?" Lucy squeaked, pushing Mina back by her shoulders. "Mina, did you fall? Are you feeling well? Should we go back?"
Lucy was holding her shoulders and Mina took notice of the coolness from Lucy's hands seeping through her dress. She didn't mind it. "I–I don't know what came over me. I should've asked, or at least warned you."
"No, it's fine." Lucy assured. "Mina, do not apologize for kissing me. Ever. I would never reject one." Lucy was taken back by her words. She spoke without thinking. Worry about how Mina's impending reaction seized her. But unexpectedly, Mina smiled. The same smile that Lucy loved oh, so much.
"Do you mean that?" Mina asked shyly. "Truly?"
Lucy nodded. "Truly."
With that, Mina's lips were on hers again. The kiss was stronger than all the ones that came before. On Mina's side, it was a kiss that was for once, more desire than curiosity. She was no longer curious to kiss Lucy. She desired to. She was no longer scared of the consequences of kissing another. Mina was no longer shy about kissing, which she was taught since girlhood. She wanted to kiss Lucy, and being the fine age of nineteen, she could do as she wanted. The two may've been in public, but Mina knew no one was around.
On Lucy's side, a war was torn in her. Did Mina truly kiss her from a desire in her heart or was it simply on a feeling of obligation? Did Mina reciprocate her feelings? Did Mina see her feelings? So many questions made Lucy's head swim. Worsened by Mina's overpowering presence, Lucy yielded completely. She melted into Mina's arms and she allowed herself to succumb to Mina. Lucy allowed Mina to lead her away from the park. To lead her into a carriage and to lead her home.

____________________

"Catherine?" Mina called up the stairs. "Please inform Mrs Westenra that we are back and I may end up staying the night." Catherine bowed and left to act. Lucy caught a look of hurt in her maids eyes when she saw the two. The way Mina held Lucy with  a sense of protectiveness and affection and the way Lucy clinged and hugged Mina as if she were life itself. It sparked curiosity in Lucy; something she'd ask Catherine about at a later time.
"Lucy, come on, use your legs!" Mina laughed as Lucy fell dramatically into her arms. "Lucy! Please work with me!" Lucy only giggled before complying, making her way to the stairs. Lucy outstretched her hand in Mina's direction, in which she took, allowing Lucy to pull her up the stairs. 
"Remind me to ask Catherine about how she's feeling later. She looked upset when we came in." Lucy asked. Mina nodded. "Stay the night? You're with me, right?"
"Always."