Ch5

The tea came in with Catherine and her graces. Catherine had brought sandwiches and flowers. Roses to be precise. Yellow to red variegated roses. Even more precisely, yellow roses with red tips. It caught Lucy's eye, her knowing their meaning. Yellow roses commonly mean friendship or a love between friends. Red roses, famously, are known to represent romantic love. Yellow to red roses, according to some, and according to Lucy, symbolized platonic lovers, friends, turning to romantic lovers.
"Ah, my roses!" Mina pointed out. She led Lucy toward the maid holding the trays. "I hope you don't mind. I called for some specific floral arrangements for this morning."
Lucy was overcome by confusion. Perhaps it is just a coincidence. Yes, a coincidence. Mina couldn't possibly know the symbolism behind them. Even if she were to be knowledgeable, they are beautiful flowers. She couldn't possibly mean what they mean.
"You–you–asked?" Lucy stuttered. Ridiculously, she couldn't form words.
Mina turned, worry taking over her features. "I'm sorry, Lucy! Are you upset? I can tell her to take them back. I'm sorry, I had no intention of upsetting you!"
"Mina, you haven't upset me! I just wonder..." Lucy trails. What would happen if Mina found out about her feelings?
"Yes, I know their meaning. One side of the symbolism only, however."
Lucy Westenra, a woman of wits and someone who rarely holds their tongue, was at a loss for words. The only noise in the room was small squeaks and stutters coming from the blond. Mina looked at the maid and nodded, dismissing her.
"Lucy? Are you okay?" A hum of agreement came in response. Lucy was lying. Lucy was definitely not okay. Lucy was panicking. Hard. "Lucy? Did you lie to me?" Mina jokes, seeing the flustered Lucy.
"What? No, I didn't lie to you!" Lucy retorted. More lies.
Mina smiled, taking Lucy's hands. "You are a terrible fibber."
"I know." Lucy admitted. "May I ask why those specific arrangements?" Lucy asked, changing the subject and hoping to get some answers. She knew that her ideas of why were highly improbable, but then, she wondered the true reason.
"Jonathan gave them to me once, it was kinda cute having flowers be his almost confession." Mina said, eyes focused on the distance. How Lucy hated that look. Not because Mina wasn't paying attention to her, but because it was for a man. The ass-hat Jonathan no less. She wished the look was caused by and for herself. Lucy. Not Jonathan. Not some twit of a man and a meater of a fiance. Lucy.
Lucy shifted, knowing what she was to ask may upset the woman in front of her. "Were they given to you...did Jonathan give them to you exactly a fortnight ago?"
"Why, yes. How did you know? You aren't spying on him, now are you?" Mina laughed. She knew Lucy's disdain for Jonathan would prevent her from going anywhere near the man if not Mina forcing her to.
"Those were from me."
Mina's face fell slightly. "Oh." was the only thing she said. For a long time the two sat in silence. Comfortable for Mina, highly uncomfortable for Lucy. "Why wouldn't he say that the flowers were from another?" Mina asked, more to herself than to Lucy.
"Perhaps he was just to stupid to admit he couldn't think to give you flowers in the first place. He does not know how fond you are of roses. Even Mr Grayson knew of it! I saw them while you were in the hospital. Not a single one was from Jonathan, you had said. And you are to be married to this man! To think! One who doesn't even know you are fond of flowers! One who asks you to cease your passion in the medical field. One who expects you to conform and become his 'proper English wife'. You deserve someone so much better than that twit of a fiancé, Jonathan."
Mina only sat there, slack-jawed.
"A–ah." Lucy stuttered, realizing what prolific insults she had just spoken. About the man Mina had chosen to marry, at that. "I'm sorry, Mina. I just–I don't know, I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking and it all just sort of–slipped out?" 
"Do not apologize for something you do not mean." Mina said dryly. She didn't seem hurt, nor angry. She seemed shocked. "I know you don't have much of a fondness for Jonathan but I don't believe he is cowardly."
Lucy would've rolled her eyes if it was any other occasion. This time however, she had insulted Mina's love with great abundance. "Mina..."
"Why would he take the credit for the flowers? Lucy, what do you believe the flowers symbolize? I couldn't fathom the two of you meaning the same thing. Jonathan gave me them as a symbol of jovial and happy feelings to the recipient. What was your reason for them? Your side of the symbolism."
    Lucy sucked in a breath. She saw no point in hiding it. Mina, for all her cleverness, was never exceptional at symbolism. "Yellow roses, most often, mean friendship or love between friends. Any yellow flower will suffice but roses are most often. Red roses, famously, are known to symbolize romance and passion. Yellow turning into red roses..." She trailed. "Well you can see where that would lead."
    Mina confused, folded her hands in her lap and reached for tea. A sign of finishing the conversation, even if she did not see where 'that would lead'. Mina sat with her tea, trying to connect the dots. Lucy sat across from her, ever slightly disappointed that Mina dropped the conversation. Did she know, or was she confused? Although she wanted to press the matter, she decided against it.
    The comfortable silence was broken by a teacup hitting the floor of the bedchamber. Mina, who had dropped the teacup, sat eyes wide, staring into the distance. She uttered one thing under her breath.
    "Friends turning to lovers."