CHAPTER EIGHT: ICE SKATING

DOUXIE POV:

The clearing was a lot more beautiful than I thought it would be. There was a long dirt path as if it was just made for us. As Nari walked ahead of us, she curved the trees into an arch making it look like the Botanical Gardens. The trees had pink, purple, and yellow blooms on them that opened up and spread their petals when Nari walked underneath them.

"Aren't they beautiful, Skrael?" Nari asked.

"Mm, I've seen prettier," He replied.

"Aw, thank you!"

"I wasn't talking about you!" He said, shoving his sister out of the way.

Nari turned around to Phoenix and gave her a wink before walking ahead till she met up with Skrael who was moving slightly faster. Phoenix, instead of wearing her usual long-sleeved armor, was wearing a navy halter dress that ended at her knees with sky blue-white diamond patterns on the bust and a dark gray sash at the waist. She wore her hair in a loose ponytail that looked to have been done last minute but she still had those same curly strands of hair that sat near her eyes as well as the side swept bangs. Phoenix seemed to be the only member of the Arcane Order who wore shoes—at least, shoes made from ice. She had a pair of boots with snowflake patterns and heels made of ice. In other words, Phoenix did look very elegant, but she also looked very nervous.

Bellroc was walking Inferno using a leash made from Nari's vines. I stood next to her, debating on whether I should talk. I would glance up and down at her over and over and over again.

"You're staring," she said.

"Hm?" I asked, a little startled.

"You're staring. Either at me or Nari. Any reason why?"

"Nope, no reason."

"Are you sure? If it's the lake that makes you uncomfortable-"

"Nope, it's not the lake. I'm fine, really, Bellroc."

"You know, if you want you can call me Bell."

"Yeah, that's what Nari and Phoenix were calling you. But why doesn't Skrael use it?"

"Skrael and I...are not on good terms, but don't let him bother you during your stay. He's practically harmless."

"I...uh...practically?" 

"THIS LAKE IS HUGE!" shouted Nari.

As soon as Nari said the word lake, Bellroc—I mean Bell—let go of the leash and allowed Inferno to run freely, which he did with great pleasure, leaping into the water and swimming around as steam rose up.

"He can swim?" I asked.

"Yeah, he can swim," Bellroc said.

"But I thought he was a fire dog, or an canis ignis, I think."

"Well, he didn't burn down the trees, so I figure that he's able to hone his abilities well enough."

Inferno climbed out of the water and barked for us to join him.

"Anyone like to take a dip?" Bellroc suggested.

"Me! Me! Me!" Nari shouted.

"I'm not that good at swimming," I admitted.

Skrael said nothing.

"I'm hot," Phoenix said, everyone turned to her.

"You don't have any sleeves!" Nari said.