CHAPTER FOUR: CONFUSING TRUST

DOUXIE POV

I sat up with a startle, gasping for breath.

'What had happened? Last thing I remembered was losing Nari, holding onto Phoenix, and heat. Had I blacked out in the middle of a battle? Had the Arcane Order done the spell? Had I failed Merlin? Where was I?'

This looked nothing like my bedroom in Camelot although, to be honest, it was a lot more comfortable. The bed was long and had plenty of space. The sheets were dark blue with black spiral details. There was a lovely glass chandelier with light blue candles hanging above the bed. There were glass windows on both sides of the room. The only lights were the candles in the chandelier, the sunlight leaking through the glass windows, and the other floating light blue candles in the room. There was a wooden bookshelf that appeared to be carved by a professional. There was a wooden table that sat at the foot of my bed that held my bracelet and staff. I felt the side of my cheek where I'd been burned. There was a bandage on the side. Who did that though? When I heard footsteps, I grabbed my staff and bracelet out of fear. I looked around and was surprised to hear voices.

"...of Arcadia are surely going to try and find them. What are we to do if they succeed then?" I gasped–Skrael!

"I agree-"

"-oh, know you do?"

"Can it, Skrael. I agree that they'll try to find him. But they won't succeed. I have a plan. The magical barrier that surrounds this mountain can't be penetrated by any wizard other than us."

"You said that the plan to win Killahead was flawless as well. Look where that ended up."

"Skrael!"

There was a long pause.

"The boy wizard is awake," Skrael said with annoyance.

"We must meet him," Bellroc said.

"Must we?" Skrael said.

SKRAEL POV:

"Must we?" I said, rolling my eyes as I walked towards the wizard's door.

I was still unhappy, but Bellroc managed to coax me out of my room—How? I don't know. I was immediately regretting it anyway. Every time Bellroc was around Hisirdoux, she'd freeze up like a deer in headlights which was unhelpful in a heated battle with say someone like Merlin. But he was dead, so that was good. Even then, Bellroc would act like Hisirdoux was the only friend she had left in the world, or rather the only piece of happiness she had in the world. Sometimes it seemed like she would get rid of me, Nari, and Phoenix. We do exist, but of course, Merlin's apprentice is far more important.

"The boy wizard has the stamina of a rabbit but the perseverance and stupidity of a roach."

"Continuing to insist that he's an insect, are you?"

"The worst insect, yes."

"I hate beetles more."

"Bellroc, this is a dumb idea. One of the dumbest you've had yet-"

"Promise me that you won't do anything rude, please."

I made no guarantees. Bellroc opened the door, and just as I assumed, I was blasted in the face with magic. Bellroc tried to help, but I slapped her hand away and stood up myself.

"Hisirdoux, please-" she said, as I dusted myself off, rolling my eyes. "We won't hurt you."

"Oh, likely story! Why'd you attack me?"

Bellroc sighed. "I didn't attack you, I was trying not to hurt you. But, let us prove it to you. Skrael?"

I didn't lower my staff. I merely clutched it even tighter and glared at him. Bellroc sighed and set her staff against the wall. She untied her blindfold and revealed to him her glowing orange-yellow eye. Hisirdoux's brow relaxed when he saw her eyes. He lowered his staff a little.