16

As expected, Lacey woke up with a pounding headache and thanked her lucky stars that it was a Saturday and they wouldn't have to go in for work unless a case popped up.

"I definitely drank way too much last night," she sighed, rolling over to face Ryan. She felt an immediate punch to the gut when he wasn't there. "Right. You're still not there,"

With another sigh and holding back emotions, she got up and went to Riley's nursery where she was standing up in the crib. She got her out and took her back to the bed, snuggling with her as she wished Ryan was home.

"Lace?" Jay knocked, slowly opening the door.

"Hmmm?" She mumbled, not bothering to open her eyes.

"How's your head?" He asked, setting a bottle of water on her bedside table.

"Pounding. Did I do anything stupid last night?" She asked, slowly sitting up while Riley crawled around the bed.

"You got a little drunk, and let loose. I had to pull the drink from your hand and put your seatbelt on for you," Jay chuckled, watching Riley pull herself up by his shirt and jump on the bed. "I'll take her. Get some sleep,"

——————

Monday morning quickly arrived, all of them heading to work. She was slow to get out of bed and get ready but still managed to get Riley to daycare and make it on time. As she was buzzing in, Garrett caught her attention coming up the steps.

"Hey Lacey, can I borrow you for a second?"

"Is he okay?" She asked, immediately turning around at the sound of her husband's partner's voice.

"Yeah. Yeah. He's fine, he sent something for you." He said, handing over the phone with a message on it that read,

Ryan Davis: Lace usually gets to 21 around 7 or 8. Please let her see this.

She smiled a little and opened the video, happy to see her husband's face. 

"Hey honey, hope you're doing okay. And Ri too. It killed me the other day when I couldn't even talk to you. Hopefully, I'll be home soon. I love you, Lacey. Tell my little Riley Anne I love her too," The video cut off after it finished.

"How close are you guys to getting this done?" Lacey asked, handing over the phone.

"Almost there. How are you doing?" He asked, almost knowing the answer.

"Um. I'm uh...I'm going insane. My brother and his wife actually moved into the guest room until Ryan comes home, and Riley knows. She knows there's something missing. Someone missing. She'll go around the house repeating "Da. Da" all day. I just can't wait until he comes home." She admitted, feeling a little bit better after she got some of it off her chest.

"We'll get him home Lacey, hopefully soon. Just hang on a little longer,"

"Yeah. Thanks, Garrett," Lacey nodded, heading up the steps to the bullpen.

They got called to a homicide, Lacey deciding to ride with Kevin. It was almost 80 degrees and she had put on a sweater that she'd stolen from Ryan.