Chapter-32

I pulled on the chains helplessly.

I stared out of the glass wall in despair. Master Gregory stood over the unconscious form of Hazel. I screamed for him to stop as he went to remove her clothes. Thoughts of bloodshed and torture fill my mind even as I plead for him to spare my friend.

The sound of Sir's laughter rings in my ear. He walks into my line of sight. I couldn't take my eyes off the horror in front of me even as he grabs hold of my jaw. Tears streamed down my face as Master Gregory went to remove his pants.

"Tell me My Little Doll, are you afraid of the dark?"

I sit up, gasping.

Panting breaths left me. I ran a shaky hand on my sweat-covered forehead. The sheets were tangled around my legs. My whole body shook as I felt tears fill my eyes.

I wipe away at them harshly. I need to get myself together. If I didn't, that dream could very well turn into reality. I take a deep breath and look out the window to my right. It was dark, probably past midnight.

I throw off the sheets and get up. I put on my clothes methodically and let my mind wander. After arming myself, I throw open the shutter of the window and get out of Blaire's house.

Up on the roof, I look around at the New York Undertown. It was alive with activity. Hawkers screaming, people fighting, guns going off, blades clashing, screams of agony. And in the sound of that chaos, I found peace.

The last of the tremors went out of my hands. I breathed in the smell of blood, gunpowder and rotting flesh and felt at home. After all, this is what I am. A mindless being of death and destruction with only one goal, to protect her friends.

With my nerves settled, I start to move from roof to roof. The sky was dark with not a single star visible in the cloudless sky with the light pollution from the city. It irritated me.

If this person Blaire told me about, came here to kill Newman, she'd already be dead. But I highly doubt that. From Sir's words, it would seem that it's the FBI that is hiring me. So the other person is sure to be a man from one of the security services she had been selling data to.

So he must be here to remove all evidence of Newman's connection to his bosses. There is no use killing her, they would have already gotten word of her multiple customer lists, they are security services after all. If they kill her, they could easily be blamed for the theft of any information she might have on the other security services.

Killing her would be easy, but I also need to eliminate this other person. If he reports back to his masters, it will cause a way bigger problem than I have the means to handle.

And that would require a plan.

Mayank Vaishnav. That is the name the man gave to Blaire. Fake obviously, but by Blaire's description, he looked south Asian. And I am fairly sure that the name is Indian. So it must be RAW he works for. And all of RAWs dogs are patriotic to a fault.

I reach the house Blaire told me about. It was no different than every other in the Undertown. Dark wood and concrete, old and looked at the brink of crumbling. I slide down a drainage pipe in the alley nearby and make my way to the front door.

Making sure that my mask is in place, I knock on the door. Silence. For a moment, no one answered. Then I hear footsteps. The person approached the door cautiously. It swung open an inch. I could only see a brown eye looking at me with suspension.