Chapter 1.86:

The house went deafeningly silent except for the sobs escaping from the broken girl on the floor of the bathroom.

Riley was still howling for her brother to return and forgive her. She clutched the bottom of her stomach with her hands like she was afraid it would shatter if she let it go.

"Are you ok?" Brynn rubbed her hair with a smug, satisfied glint in her eye. She wasn't hiding the fact she was getting off on the whole scene as it played out. It was sickening to watch her take pleasure from Riley's misery.

"Just get out." I snapped at her and let loose some of the blood in my mouth onto the floor.

Brynn sneered at me and waited for Riley to argue that she should stay. Instead, Riley gave her an insecure nod to tell her it was time for her and Aiden to go away. The two-faced bitch fumed while she chewed the inside of her cheek, reluctantly releasing her hold on Riley.

Brynn got up off the floor and straightened her shirt out with a huff. She sulked the whole walk over on her way to grab Aiden, who was still standing steadfast in the doorway. His matchstick head was transfixed and leering at the devastated blond lying in a tiny ball on the black and white checked tile. Brynn grabbed his arm and dug his heels in, refusing to budge an inch.

"Let's give them some space." Brynn glared at him. The annoying shrew pulled on his arm to drag him down the dark hallway behind her.

Good fucking riddance to both of them.

Once our audience was finally gone, I turned my attention back to Riley. She was still balled up on the ground, crumbling away under her heartache.

I had to get to her even if I had no idea how to help her right now.

I gathered up the little bit of strength I had remaining and found my way by her side. I scooped my girl off the floor and pushed down my own excruciating wounds to find a way to ease hers. Her head dropped immediately to my chest when she was comfortably settled in my lap. I lightly kissed the top of it and cradled her in my arms.

This was where she should belonged, right here with me.

Riley began sobbing uncontrollably into my shirt and there was nothing I was going to be able to do to take her suffering away from her. The front of my shirt was drenched in her tears, staining me with a reminder of everything we had been through and what else we had left to face.

Tears stung the corner of my dry, bloodshot eyes the longer I held her fragile form. I tried to hold the tears back so she wouldn't see. I wanted to stay strong for both of us, even if a tornado of emotions ran rampant inside my mind.

I ran my thumb lightly over her temple and back along the side of her head, tracing her hairline to the spot behind her ear. I followed over the same path again, stroking it and playing with the curls between my fingers to offer both of us a much-needed distraction. Riley went silent and began to relax in my arms. She was as worn out as I was from the disastrous night.

After a few minutes of the occasional hiccupping sniffle breaking free from deep inside, Riley tilted her head towards my busted face. She was searching for me. I bent my head down to hers even though the back of it ached with every shift I made.

I brushed Riley's lips with mine softly. I wasn't sure what she would do in her current state but was relieved when her mouth moved in sync with mine. My cut lip stung with every tender press as I held myself back for her to take the lead this time.

Riley coaxed my mouth open with hers and I wrapped my hand around the back of her neck. Her tongue was warm and sweet as I explored every inch I could reach. Riley began growing impatient with the slow kiss and pulled me in deeper into not her. The heat simmered up inside my body into a blazing inferno when her hand began lowering down my chest and settled near the top of my jeans.