Chapter 75: Modern Day Life Graduation Trip Part Nine

Start from the beginning

"SUBARU!!! BEATRICE!!!!/SUBARU-KUN!!! BEATRICE-SAMA!!!!" Emilia and Rem both leaped out from the water, flinging their arms around the two. "We thought we were losing you!" Rem sobbed, burying her face into Subaru's chest. Emilia, embracing Beatrice, nodded, her eyes full of tears. Just then, Aki and Haruka broke through the water surface and flung themselves onto the jet skis, gasping for air. "NATSUKI!! BEATRICE-SAN!!!" The two shouted, looking widely around. Their eyes found the two, both of whom looking shaken but safe. "...We thought you were...!!!" Haruka's voice broke off, and Aki gulped. "...Dead..." He finished her sentence.

Finally, Subaru and the other three's and Aki and Haruka's boats arrived, all of the workers looking thunderstruck. Everyone at the vicinity stared at one another with widened eyes, and no one could speak for a few long moments. The only sounds one could heard were the sounds of waves and other seabirds screeching. At last, the worker on Subaru's boat found her voice. "Are you... alright?" She asked. "...Yeah, I think..." Subaru muttered back. The worker then reached out a trembling hand to help them get back on the boat. Soon, everyone except Hinata and Ram got on the boat, and the two boats and jet skis sailed back to the shore in silence.

A few minutes later, they arrived back at the dock, and when they got off the boats, all the workers there, as well as the manager who'd been informed by the worker on Subaru's boat when they noticed the ropes started breaking, bowed deeply at them in apology. They apologized repeatedly, and a crowd was forming there as the news about what happened spreaded. Many of their classmates and friends came up to them, their faces white and their bodies trembling, and asked if they were fine. Kishitsuji sensei, Matsushita sensei, and some other teachers also showed up, all looking shaken at the fatal accident and relieved at the same time that miraculously they survived without major injuries.

"But I don't understand. What made this happen?" Kishitsuji sensei voiced the question on everyone's mind after the teachers asked Subaru and the others over and over again if they were fine. "I... don't know... I saw seagulls." Subaru answered, trying to recall what he saw. "Betty did too, she supposes. But Betty doubts birds could do such damage to the ropes, in fact." Beatrice added, her hands holding Subaru's. Like Beatrice, Rem and Emilia were also holding his arms, afraid that he would somehow slip away and start falling further into the ground again.

"Seagulls...?? Seagulls...??? But... But... How...???" The manager muttered in disbelief. Just then, Ram, who'd been standing a bit behind the group, spoke. "The camera fell right next to Ram when the ropes started breaking." She said, holding out the GoPro that also miraculously remained unbroken after falling from the sky. "Camera??" Everyone asked, and without another word, Aki took the GoPro and turned it on. Sticking out their necks to get close enough to him, the people around Aki looked into the small screen on the camera. First, Rem and Emilia chatting and enjoying the view. The two landing back on the boat, handing the selfie stick to Subaru. Subaru and Beatrice starting rising higher and higher. The two talking with each other. Beatrice comforting Subaru. Subaru and Beatrice looking over their shoulders. Birds showing up as if they just appeared there out of thin air. Parachute breaking, ropes snapping, and the world went into a crazy rotation, and the video stopped.

All the workers and the manager continued to apologize to them after the vides, the manager mumbling "Birds..." under his breath. Subaru and Beatrice were promised compensations, and the group were allowed to ride all the rides they have there for free if they still felt like it. Afterwards, the workers and the manager returned to the dock and closed down the parasailing service temporarily to do a thorough check of the safety of their equipments, and Subaru and the others returned to their spot. There were still a small crowd surrounding them, but since there were no serious injuries and casualties, they all left them a while later.

Kishitsuji sensei and Matsushita sensei continued to stay with them. "Are you sure you are feeling fine, Natsuki-kun, Beatrice-san, mina-san? This is a traumatizing incident, if there's anything that we can help..." Matsushita sensei's voice trailed away, and Kishitsuji sensei continued her sentences. "Natsuki-kun, we know you are strong willed. You too, Beatrice-san. But keep this in mind, it is fine to let it out." He said, reaching out a hand to pat Subaru on the shoulder. Subaru gave his two sensei a nod. "I'll do that, Kishitsuji sensei, Matsushita sensei." He said. "Betty will look after him, in fact." Beatrice said. "So will Rem." Rem, looking from Matsushita sensei to Kishitsuji sensei, said firmly. "We all will. We will make sure Subaru is fine, as well as Beatrice." Emilia said, placing her hands softly on Subaru's shoulders. Hinata, Aki, Haruka, and Ram did the same. The feeling was quite comforting to Subaru.