Chapter 75: Modern Day Life Graduation Trip Part Nine

Start from the beginning

"SUBARU!!!" She shouted as Subaru's hand slipped through hers since she didn't have much strength to hold him long. Nevertheless, the moment was long enough for Subaru to free his other hand and take hold of the broken rope. All sorts of sounds or words seemed to have failed Subaru as he dangled there, holding the rope with one hand and having his other clutched by Beatrice. He just stared at her, terrified, with his mouth open, and Beatrice also stared back, looking relieved that he was able to hang on, though her expression showed that she was as scared as Subaru was.

The temporary relief was interrupted soon after as something like a whip slapped across his face. For a moment he thought it was one of the birds hitting him, but the screeching birds were long gone, and the only things that could possibly do that were, "Those freaking ropes!!" Subaru shouted as the wind suddenly changed the direction it was blowing toward, bringing the ropes toward Subaru and Beatrice like whiplashes. At the same time, the parachute rampaged toward them as if it was an octopus trying to capture its prey in its tentacles. Subaru couldn't do anything but to shut his eyes and turn away to prevent his face from getting hit directly. However, Beatrice's shout reached him loud and clear, forcing open his eyes.

"Minya!!!" Sparkling purple crystals appeared out of thin air, darting into the bar connected to the half-broken parachute and disintegrating it into nothingness as purple flames engulfed it. After a fraction of a second, he heard Beatrice's second shout. "Vita!!!" And without warning, the gravity pulling him down suddenly increased, and with Beatrice's arms around his neck, he started falling as though he had been free falling for a long while. The parachute now looking like a web swallowing everything in its course missed them by just a few feet, and Subaru heard more shouts sounding like they had come from a long distance away.

At that moment, Emilia and Rem leaped out the boat. Aki and Haruka, looking everything from afar, did the same and dived into the water. Hinata and Ram, who'd been behind them all the time, twisted the throttle handles hard and darted forward. Subaru and Beatrice accelerated toward the ocean at an abnormal speed, and he continued to hear indistinct shouts. His ears seemed to be covered with a pair of invisible muffles, obscuring his hearing. Not even Beatrice's voice sounded clear when they fell. Finally, Beatrice cried for the third time. "Murak!!!" She shouted, and suddenly, the strong force pulling them down was gone, and what replaced it was the sensation Subaru had only felt twice so far.

Somehow, that feeling made everything in Subaru's mind went back online. "BEA-KO!!!" Subaru shouted as he pulled her into his arms, bracing up for the impact that would come in a few second. However, yet another sudden change in the wind changed their course of falling. With Beatrice's magic in effect, they were easily blown away, and instead of falling directing at the surface, they now flew at an angle that would make their landing on the water almost horizontal. Subaru let out another shout. "UWAAAAAAHH!!!" Immediately after the shout followed a grunt and an impact much softer than Subaru expected.

"Urgh!!! We got you!!!" Hinata shouted as the two collided into Hinata and Ram's open arms, knocking the two backward off their jet skis into the water with an almighty splash. For a few moments, Subaru could only feel his brain spinning and suffocation, but soon, his face broke through the water surface, along with the other three, all of whom gasping for air. "HOLY SHIT WE'RE ALL ALIVE!!!" Hinata shouted, pulling Subaru onto the jet ski, and Ram did the same, helping Beatrice get on her jet ski closely beside them. Subaru coughed loudly and wretched into the ocean. "Tasukatta... I thought we were done for..." He muttered and pulled himself up straight, turning to Hinata. His nose was bleeding slightly, but overall, he looked unhurt.

"It's a miracle that you didn't collide as hard as I expected and we're all uninjured somehow!!" Hinata shouted, wiping the blood away from his face. "Indeed it was." Ram said. The expression on her face told Subaru that she knew Beatrice had used magic and they should be fine even if they didn't catch them, but her tone sounded concerned. "What happened?" The two asked in unison. Now that they asked, Subaru found it hard to recall what exactly happened. Everything just happened so fast, so abruptly, so unnaturally. Subaru's mouth moved, but no words came out, and the next second, a few more shouting voices made them all turn around.