Chapter Ten.

Tyler's Point of View

"Tyler. Ty, hey!" Austin hollered, knocking his foot against mine beneath the table in an attempt to gain my attention. I looked up, pressing the send button on my phone before placing it back on the table and shooting Austin a forced, obnoxious grin. "Who were you just texting?" He questioned with a knowing tone. I only shrugged my shoulders as I took a drink of my wine, attempting to gain a few moments to come up with an explanation, though one wasn't needed; Austin knew the truth. He could read me like a book. "Seriously, baby? We've been gone for-" he paused, glancing down at his Rolex, "twenty minutes. Twenty minutes! That's it! And you're already checking on Peyton?"

"But, Aust-" He cut me off before I could finish, leaning across the table and pressing his finger against my pursed lips.

"No. She's fine, okay? I miss her just as much as you do, believe me, but this is our night, Ty. We need this. Aaron and Amanda have everything under control, alright? She'll be fine."

I sighed dramatically, blowing a large puff of air from my lungs. "Ugh, fine," I spat out lazily, an involuntary smile playing at my lips. Relinquishing my grasp on the phone I shoved it deep in my purse where it was out of sight, though it pained me to do so.

Being away from her, I knew it was going to be hard, but I had no idea it was going to be this hard. No matter how much I tried not to, no matter what Austin was saying, what was going on around us, my thoughts kept wandering to her. My imagination was running away with me, conjuring up practically every possible scenario that could possibly be going on at that house, what could be happening to my daughter when I wasn't there to protect her.

In my heart I knew nothing was wrong. I knew that, just like Austin said, she was fine. I trusted Aaron, more than anyone else; he was taking good care of her, deep inside I knew that, but it didn't stop my thoughts from swirling.

"Hey," I heard again, much quieter this time, the simple word accompanied by another small nudge of my foot with Austin's. "Be here with me," he started, pausing momentarily to give me a sad, simple smile, "please, baby? We'll be back home with her soon." I met Austin's gaze, my eyes boaring into his, and though I knew he was tired, though he was stressed and worn out by his new full-time duties as a father, his eyes still held that brightness that I had seen since day one. They had pulled me in then, and even to this day, no matter what was going on, they still had a way of brightening my day and making my heart sing.

Leaning across the table I gently stroked Austin's cheek, flashing him a warm, reassuring smile. "I'm sorry, baby. I'm here."

With that we fell into easy conversation like we had been doing it for our entire lives. The words flowed smoothly, the laughs falling from our lips with ease, the brilliant smiles never leaving our faces as we spent this valuable time together, just the two of us. Austin had been right; we did need this time together. Time spent with just each other was few and far between these days, and though it wasn't easy to leave our daughter, I knew Austin and I needed this time with each other; we deserved it.

By the time dinner came to an end my anxieties had eased, and though we weren't doing anything extravagent I was having a perfect evening with Austin. After paying the bill Austin rose from his seat, pulling my chair out for me like a perfect gentleman, and taking my hand in his. Our fingers interlaced as we made our way through the mostly-empty bistro and back out into the beautiful evening air.

"Hold on," Austin started, gently pulling on my hand and yanking me to a stop, "I want to show you something before we head home." I furrowed my eyebrows, confused as to what he could be doing, but followed Austin as he pulled me in the opposite direction of the car, leading me down the pier towards the beach.

As we neared the ocean I slowed to a stop, pulling my heels off as I used Austin as a support. He took my shoes in his free hand, continuing to lead me closer to the water. The feeling of the cool sand beneath my feet soothing.

"Where in the world are we going?" I questioned with a chuckle as we continued to walk further down the shoreline.

He looked down at me, his silly, crooked grin situated on his lips. "You'll see soon enough." Knowing it would be of no use I decided not to press it, instead following him as we walked in silence, listening to the sounds of the waves lapping against the shore, allowing it to pull me in. "Okay," he finally said, dragging out the word dramatically, "here it is."

Looking around I searched for what he could possibly be wanting me to see, but all I was faced with was a deserted beach and dark, choppy water.

"Here's what?" I questioned, turning to look at him, snaking my arms around his waist and pulling him close to me.

He looked down at me, his teeth shining brilliantly in the moonlight. "It's beautiful here, isn't it?" He asked, avoiding my question.

"It really is," I responded, leaning my head against his chest, the sounds of his erratic heartbeat filling my ears. "But why are we here, babe?"

He took a deep breath, tracing shapes on my back with the tips of his fingers. "I think we should get married here."

His response caught me off guard, the mention of the wedding not what I was expecting. I pulled away from him, my eyes meeting his, a look of question taking form on my face. "What?" I asked.

"I know we haven't really had time to talk about the wedding with Peyton and everything, but I think it's time we start talking about it." He paused a moment, his smile widening as he cupped my cheek with his soft hand. "I really want you to be my wife, Ty. I want you to be mine forever."

"Austin," I sighed, leaning into his touch. "I want that, too. More than anything." I leaned up, my lips meeting his in a passionate kiss as a tear of joy slid from my eye.

Everything was finally falling into place.

I had everything I had ever wanted.

And I was the happiest I had ever been.