𝟒. 𝑨 𝑳𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝑫𝒂𝒓𝒌 𝑱𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒏𝒆𝒚

Novokribirsk, West Ravka

Hooves hit the ground. Rocking back and forth. The carriage was already a dreadful journey. I do not wish to know what else lays ahead of us. In fact, I am not looking forward to this at all. With each step closer, the unsettling feeling in my stomach grew bigger. But of course, I couldn't reveal that and possibly ruin the mission. The Conductor Arken was sitting next to Jesper, across from Kaz and Inej. I on the other hand, had to sit on the bottom of the carriage.

"I didn't hire you simply to get us across the Fold." Kaz spoke. "You're with us because you smuggle Grisha out of the Little Palace, and that's the location of our target." he informed Arken.

"Sun Summoner." Inej added.

"Alleged." said Kaz, turning his face to her and back at the man.

I rolled my eyes. "While you all have your lovely seats, where you can sit like gentleman and lady. I am over here sitting at the bloody bottom." I complained.

"Oh it's not that bad." Jesper smirked at me and I just gave him a death stare. He enjoyed this.

"They wouldn't keep a fraud in the most secure location in all of Ravka." lectured Inej, looking at Kaz who doesn't seem to spend another thought on it.

"You said you have a contact who can get us inside." he directed his conversation back to Arken. "A Heartrender."

Arken nodded.

"How do I know we can trust her?" Kaz asked.

"Nina grew up there." he answered.

"Most Grisha grew up in the Little Palace. Very few would betray their General." Kaz commented.

I rolled my eyes yet again and sighed annoyed. However Kaz continued his speech. "And fewer still would help foreigners kidnap their most prized possession."

"Nina's a radical." he said. "Thinks Grisha should get to choose if they serve the Crown. She despises involuntary service more than she does Fjerdans."

"Oh dear Saints, I'll never understand this whole rivalry or hatred. Or whatever that is." I commented and the gazes fell upon me.

"Perhaps the young lady shall read a few more books then, to freshen her knowledge." Arken said mockingly at me.

I smirked at him slightly psychopathic. "Oooorrr this young lady can just simply cut off your tongue." then I whispered. "Let's see how smart you are then Arken."

He instantly looked away. Kaz placed his hand over his face. I know Kaz, sometimes I'm just as annoyed by myself as you are now. But I can't help it. Abruptly, the carriage came to an halt.

"We have arrived." Arken said.

I got up to get out first, since I was the one sitting on the ground. Wouldn't want them to walk all over me. After we all left the carriage, we made our way inside. Asking the innkeeper about Nina's room, however I noticed him counting a large amount of money. I followed them upstairs into Nina's room. To our surprise, empty.

"She knew to expect us." Arken said, inspecting the room.

All of us scattered and looked around.

"She isn't late. She's gone."  Kaz said.

"Obviously there has been an attack." I commented looking around.

Kaz closed the suitcase, underneath it was, what looked like a medallion, in the shape of a wolfs head.

"Yes, but her things are all.." Arken spotted it and lifted it up.

"What is it?" Jesper asked.

"Druskelle." He said looking at it. "They are ruthless Grisha hunters."