𝟓. 𝑶𝒖𝒕𝒄𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝑺𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓

Os Alta, East Ravka

The journey in the carriage with the two Grisha men, dressed in red Kefta, Heartrenders,  seemed long and unending. We spent most of the time in silence, but I felt tension. While one was reading a book, they both occasionally looked up, glanced at me and at my black, leather corset around my waist, which was filled with various blades.

I sat there, cross armed and leaned against my seat, sighing, glancing back at them. "Like what you see?" I said in an sarcastic tone.

One scanned me from head to toe, looking back in my eyes, "How many knives do you carry with you, young lady?" he asked.

I raised my eyebrows and declared boldly. "Want to find out?"

He scoffed with displeasure, viewing the trees that we were passing by before he focused on me again. "This vulgar, uncivilized way of acting of yours will get you in a lot of trouble." he grinned.

I took a breath in and adjusted myself in my seat, leaning forward to them, I raised my head and peered at them, placing my elbows on my knees and hands together, squinting my eyes. "I guess I will never live up to the fine ways of behavior and expression as you fine gentlemen do."  I commented mockingly, smirking.

"Hold your tongue before the General." he advised. "He doesn't like disobedience, nor does he like sharp mouths." the man warned, establishing a superiority towards me.

"Well tell the General to mind his own business cause I won't bloody change." I commented annoyed. I let myself fall back against my seat, crossing my arms again and looked out the carriage window, into the peaceful forest. "May I know the names of my companions?" I asked looking back at them.

"Ivan." one answered.

"Fedyor." said the other not looking up from his book.

"Now that we established that you are Grisha." Ivan continued. "We just need to find out which kind."

Fedyor added, "I've never seen or read about dark purple abilities like hers. She already looks odd enough, with that raven black hair and dark red strands on the front." He said in an unbothered tone.

Of course it's my physical appearance again that has been discussed. I ignored their commentary and focused onto the forest. I don't remember most parts of my life. I remember being just a thief, stealing for survival and accepting jobs to earn at least enough coin to fend for myself. Then I met Kaz, Inej & Jesper and they took me in. They became my family. I don't have anyone besides them. The life I've lived and them are the only things I know. And I never even questioned from where I am or who my real family is. I guess if I was of importance, they wouldn't have abandoned me or maybe they got killed. My gaze turned to my hands, resting in front of me. As I turned my palms, observing them, I wondered how is it possible of possessing such power. Let alone one no one has ever seen before.

I felt something on my side and hear rustling of a slight movement even though the carriage rattling and the horses hooves should cover that subtle noise. My ears sharpened and I looked out the window, leaning forward. My eyes wandering.

"What is it?" Ivan questioned.

"Sssshhh" I shushed him, pointing my finger at them to keep quiet.

"Don't silence us!" Ivan scolded. 

I didn't pay him another second of attention but was focused on the silent rattling of grass I could hear. There's movement. I heard a pulling sound and instantly retracted from the window, pressing myself against my seat as I heard a whooshing sound and an arrow hits the one controlling the horses. His body fell of the carriage and the horses came to an instant, rough halt, neighing in panic. The men grabbed their seats when we came to an abrupt halt.