𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈

Start from the beginning

"Right, the guy that walks into the E.R. and kneels over dead. His stomach ripped out?"

"His liver, actually. Anyways, I just found out something pretty damn interesting."

"What?"

"The dead body covered in bloody fingerprints-- not the victim's."

"Okay, great. My man, Dave Caruso, will be stoked to hear it."

"Those fingerprints match a guy who died in 1981."

Karina was shocked to hear the information, "Wow... that's interesting. So, we're talking about a zombie case, or what?"

"Maybe."

Dean commented, "Zombies do like the other other white meat." He took a sip of the beer before asking Sam, "Speaking of, what do you care about zombies?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you've been on soul-saving detail for months now. And we're three weeks out, and all of a sudden, you're interested in some hot zombie action?"

"Hey, man, you're the one who's been all gung ho to hunt. I just thought I'd be doing you a favor."

Dean stood up, looking at Sam, "Hey, no, no, no. I mean, obviously, I want to hunt some zombies. How about you, Kay?"

"Well, it's nice to take a little break on the serious stuff, then focus on the fun stuff for a while." Dean snapped a finger at her in appreciation, looking at Sam. Smirking.

"Okay, fine, whatever."

"Yay!"

Dean and Karina walked out of the cabin...behind them were Sam secretly smiling to himself.

***

In the morning, the trio returned to their suits. Portraying themselves as detectives, they were in the coroner's lab. They were talking to the coroner who gave them details on the body. "Yeah, the rest of the body was intact. The liver was the only organ missing."

"Now, where the liver was ripped out, did you happen to notice any...teeth marks?"

The coroner gave Dean a dirty look after the odd question, "Can I see your badges?" They all showed their badges and he scanned them all. "Fine. So you're cops and morons."

"Excuse me? No, no. We're very smart."

Dean gave a narrow face to Sam and Karina behind him before the coroner guided them to the containment. Then slid the body of the victim is covered with the sheet. "The liver was not ripped out. It was removed. Surgically. By someone who knew their way around a scalpel.'

Trio looked at the cut with a shocked face. Coroner asked, "Didn't you read my report?"

"Of course we did. Oh, it was riveting. It was a real page-turner, just delightful."

"You done?"

"I think so."

"Please go away." They all did without any arguments, then Coroner shook his head with annoyance at Dean's questioning.

When they all exited the morgue, Karina noticed an odd expression on Sam's face. He was smiling. She asked in curiosity, "What's up?"

"Nothing." Karina knew that he was lying then she moved past it on the case. He continued, "So, that kind of punches a hole in our zombie theory, huh? That scalpel thing?"

Dean replied, "Yeah, zombies with skills, "Dr. Quinn, medicine zombie.'"

He faked chuckles after his comment while Karina looked down at the floor, thinking. Sam inferred, "Maybe we're on the wrong track, Dean. Looking for hacked-up corpses."