HOLD MY HAND

Nothing to say about this, honestly.

~

Barry had picked their wedding song.

After everything they'd been through, and with the looming threat of more things to come, Oliver asked Barry to marry him. They'd planned most things together, but Barry had insisted on picking the music. He'd gotten Kara to sing the song he'd written for Oliver for when he walked down the aisle.

Now, for their first dance, it was a Lady Gaga song.

Tell me you need me
Hold my hand, everything will be okay
I heard from the heavens that clouds have been grey
Pull me close, wrap me in your aching arms
I see that you're hurtin', why'd you take so long

Barry accepted Oliver's offered hand as they began to dance, swaying to the music. They follow the rhythm as they move across the dance floor. People watch them with tears in their eyes as they danced.

They were happy, content.

To tell me you need me? I see that you're bleeding
You don't need to show me again
But if you decide to, I'll ride in this life with you
I won't let go 'til the end
So cry tonight
But don't you let go of my hand
You can cry every last tear
I won't leave 'til I understand
Promise me, just hold my hand

Barry and Oliver had faced it all, together. They had held each other close through it all, and now they would get a chance to do that for the rest of their lives.

They had seen each other's ups and downs, and had come out stronger together. As the song ended, Oliver pulled Barry close, his fingers brushing against the back of the speedster's neck.

"I'm yours," he whispered to the speedster.

Barry touched their foreheads together. "And I'm yours. I'm with you..."

"Until the end of the line," Oliver whispered, kissing him. "Forever."

They pulled apart, ready to enjoy the rest of their wedding together.

~

Raise your head, look into my wishful eyes
That fear that's inside you will lift, give it time
I can see everything you're blind to now
Your prayers will be answered, let God whisper how
To tell me you need me, I see that you're bleeding
You don't need to show me again
But if you decide to, I'll ride in this life with you
I won't let go 'til the end
So cry tonight
But don't you let go of my hand
You can cry every last tear
I won't leave 'til I understand
Promise you'll just hold my hand

"Barry," Oliver gasped out, his dying form leaning against the soil.

Barry lowered himself onto the ground, taking Oliver's hand in his own. He was barely even aware of Sara being next to him.

Oliver had given everything for him, for the world.

"Oliver, I can't lose you," Barry choked out.

Oliver's hand squeezed his, tears trickling down his cheek as the universe was reborn. "You remember what I told you?"

"The real heroes are the ones who have to keep going."

Oliver nodded slightly. "So keep going."

As the universe reformed, the life drained from Oliver's form until he was gone. Barry choked on a sob as the archer's hand fell from his own, limp.

He vaguely felt Sara wrap an arm around him and pull him close.

~

It had been at least three years since Oliver's death, and Barry hadn't really moved on.

So after much consideration, he'd said his goodbyes to his friends and family, making the proper arrangements for them to carry on without him.

He couldn't live without his lightning rod, so here he stood, awaiting the Monitor.

When he finally showed, gazing down at Barry, searching for any reservations. "Where we are going there is no return; are you truly ready?"

Barry nodded. "I'm ready." He accepted the Monitor's hand and walked into the breach, never looking back.

"Just hold me close, Ollie," Barry whispered as he stared out at the sunset.

Oliver's arms wrapped around Barry's waist as he kissed the speedster on the neck. "I missed you, too."

Barry whipped around, kissing the archer. "I tried to keep going, but I couldn't."

"You did for as long as you could, Barry," Oliver said softly. "I'm proud of you, regardless. What matters is that I'm here with you."

"You promised me once that you'd hold my hand if I asked, so...." Barry said with a grin.

Oliver intertwined their hands. "I'm right here, and so are you."

Barry kissed him again. "I'm with you...."

"Until the end of the line."

~

Hold my hand, hold my
Hold my hand, my hand
I'll be right here, hold my hand
Hold my hand, hold my
Hold my hand, my hand
I'll be right here, hold my hand
I know you're scared and your pain is imperfect
But don't you give up on yourself
I've heard a story, a girl, she once told me
That I would be happy again
Hold my hand
Hold my hand
Hold my hand, hold my hand
Hold my hand
I heard from the heavens

~

[yes, this may be in fact crappy, but it's kinda cute and I don't really care because I don't feel the need to show more than just the major points I pulled from this song. This highlights how Barry and Oliver were always there for each other, holding each other up when they stumbled. They were with each other until the end of the line, and I wish we got one last hug or something in COIE cause we needed it. Barry is still so emotionally broken over Oliver's death, though it's rarely shown. The two were one of the healthiest friendships I've ever seen, and they were always there, no matter what they were dealing with in their own lives. Thanks for coming to my ranting session.

Flarrow]