Chapter 39 MIDNIGHT

" Alpha it's almost time for dance" Raphael mind–linked Lucious who was busy talking to some people. Lucious hadn't had a moment to himself since he got off that stage. Different people had been coming from all directions to greet, congratulate or simply talk to him. Whenever he was done with a set of people and he thought he finally had a moment to rest, another set quickly walked up to him. It was either about strengthening or renewing the pact their pack had made with the Supreme Alpha or confronting him to talk about work. Many of the Alphas saw this as an opportunity to try and get on the Supreme Alpha's good side.

Lucious furrowed his eyebrows as he heard his beta. " Is it midnight already?" He asked, nodding his head at what one of the men in front of him had said.

" Almost, Alpha" Raphael replied making Lucious to quickly glance at his wristwatch. 

' What the fuck?' How did time fly by so fast. It wasn't long ago he finished his short speech but two hours had flew by already?

Lucious 's frown deepened when he saw the chandelier in the room suddenly go off. Murmuring began as everyone looked here and there, wondering what went wrong. Luckily , werewolves had remarkable seeing abilities so they could see just fine even in the dark hall. The next moment, the lights were back on but this time they were dimmer and shone dimly on the dance floor. 

Lucious didn't remember anything like this when Raphael was briefing him about the preparations.

He looked at his beta, brows pinched together in confusion with a look that said ' What the fuck is all of this?'

" Sorry Alpha, I made some last minute arrangements . you were so busy that I didnt have the chance to talk to you about it." Raphael quickly told him through the mind–link.

" Who's idea was this?" Lucious' voice was full of amusement as he looked at the beta.

" Well Alpha, it..it was my mate" Raphael confessed. Lucious knew, he knew it. Raphael could never do something like this except if his mate suggested it.

" She said it was a surprise " He heard Raphael say to him through the mind–link again.

Lucious ended the mink link as he grimaced. That was exactly the perks of having a mate. They'd dictate you whenever they want and you'd follow. 

===========

Haven faked a smile for Tue hundredth time when another male shifter approached her. It seemed she had now turn to a magnet for them because ever since she had arrived her, they kept coming to her one by one trying to introduce themselves and strike up a conversation.

Haven silently laughed at the look on the look on their faces whenever they turn to leave. Anger red on their faces while they mumured about how rude she was. Haven rolled her eyes, she wasn't at all interested in any man again.

Suddenly, the lights went off and the whole room wae completely dark. Haven had just started wondering what went wrong when another light was switched on.

When she thought the room was dark the other time, she should have waited till she saw how it looked this time. The new lighting was so dim that Haven could rely on her abilities to see in the dark. Besides the light was only focused on the dance floor, just by her right.

 Within the blink of an eye, Haven saw most of the people on the dance floor suddenly move away as a new set of people replaced them. She saw men grabbing the hands of their mates ready to dance.

' What is happening here ?' She frowned. She could feel the aura surrounding the people on the dance floor. She could tell they were no ordinary shifters. 

Haven was sure they had to be either Alphas or Betas.

' But what are they doing?' She asked . Realization soon dawned on her as her eyes open wide.

" Oh fuck! Is it time for the midnight dance already??' Haven cursed. How could she have gotten so carried away that so much time passed by without her knowing.

' I need to get out of here, right now ' She said as she turned to look for a way to pass all these people and head back to the door. At least the dance will be a good distraction, she was glad.

Haven had barely taken two steps when she gelt strong hands grab her by the arm. Haven was alarmed when she felt the hands pull her backwards, opposite the direction she was supposed to head to. She gritted her teeth in anger as she turned to glare at the man who's disgusting face came into view. He smiled harmlessly while he looked at her face in amusement. 

" Where do you think you're going lovely ? " The man asked smirking at her. He was one of those men who had approached her the other time. Haven disliked this one most because he had his eyes scrutinize her body shamelessly while he talked to her.

The man smiled as he took in Haven's goddess– like body again . He had never seen any woman more beautiful than the fair lady standing before him. She was just oozing so much sexiness just NY glaring at him like that.

The man chuckled lightly as his eyes landed on her huge chest. He felt himself gulping as he imagined how it would feel, running his hands over this beauty's body.

He was most definitely going to have his way with her tonight. He doesn't care but he can't afford to let this fish escape his grasp.

" Dance with me darling, just one dance" The man who turned out to be a beta from one of the visiting packs offered.

Haven rolled her eyes. She could very well see through the man's filthy intentions. She yanked her arms away from his grip as she glared at him.

Annoyed she hissed and turn to leave when she felt the same man hold her arms again, stopping her from going any further.

Haven angrily turned to give him a piece of her mind but the man took that opportunity to quickly walk away, pulling Haven behind him as he stepped on the dance floor.

Haven's eyes widen in horror seeing him pull her , she furiously tried to shake his hands off her but he was just too strong. The man didn't stop till he stepped on the dance floor.