Epilogue

1 Year Later

Ally

It was a beautiful morning. Rily was already outside working and for once, I was finally able to sleep in a little. Usually, I woke up with her and started my own work–I was still transcribing part-time–but today she told me to rest and I listened. I had needed it apparently.

Climbing out of bed and letting out a soft groan, I shuffled to the bathroom and started getting ready for the day. About an hour later, I was showered, dressed, and standing at my kitchen counter, in a debate with myself about having a cup of coffee. I smiled when Rily walked into the kitchen, her hat in hand, her signature half-smile in place.

"Good morning, Sunshine. You look beautiful," she said softly, kissing my cheek. "Question, do you wanna come on a ride with me? I want to show you somethin' I've been working on, I think you'll like it," she asked.

God, she looked so good today.

She also looked really clean.

"You look nice, were you not with the horses this morning?"

Rily shook her head. "No, I had to run into town for the office supplies we ordered."

I groaned. "I forgot all about that. Glad that's taken care of." I turned the coffee pot off. "We haven't had a ride, just the two of us in a while. That sounds nice, let me get my boots on." She nodded, giving me a cute smile. I ran into our bedroom and gave myself a quick once over in the mirror. I looked cute today. I had on one of Rily's favorite outfits. Tight blue jeans, a semi-sheer black blouse that had little white flowers with a white tank top under it. She always told me I looked half country and half professional. I slipped on my boots and headed out to find my girlfriend.

Outside, she had two of our horses saddled and ready to go. A gentlewoman as always, she gave me her hand to help me onto the horse. It was something she only did when it was just the two of us. Rily almost never did it while we were working–she told me once it was because she never wanted anyone to underestimate me. She is definitely one of the most considerate and kind women I've ever met.

We were about 5 minutes into the ride, and I couldn't stop glancing at Rily, curious as to where she was taking me. Even though I asked her a hundred times about where she was taking me, she just gave me this coy smile instead of an answer. We were still on the property but way in the back, where the trees grew closer together, creating a dense forest. It wasn't an area they had explored much in the last year, and I was surprised to find her leading us in this direction. We rounded one particularly large tree and that's when I saw it. A newly made path cut right through the trees, creating a beautiful canopy of green above them.

"Rily! This is beautiful! How did you find time to do this?" I asked, still gazing up in wonder.

She shrugged. "I managed. I'm just glad you like it."

"Like it! I love it, honey." I looked over at the rancher, who looked handsome in her black Stetson hat. "You continue to amaze me, Rider," she winked, knowing how it turned her girlfriend on.

Blue eyes twinkled as she grinned. "You haven't even seen the best part. Race you," she was spurring her horse into a run.

I laughed, enjoying Rily's playfulness, and raced after her. This last year had been full of so many twists and turns, that it was nice to see the rancher enjoying herself. I would do anything to make sure she was happy.

A few minutes later, Rily slowed to a trot, letting me catch up. My heart raced, as it always did after a good race, and I watched her dismount and move toward me. With an outstretched hand, Rily looked up at her with love swimming in her eyes.