Chapter 5

Rily

I was in the barn, laughing about something with a ranch hand when my cell phone started ringing. I answered without checking the caller ID, "Hello?"

A pause, then, "Rily?" I pulled the phone away from my face to look at the caller only to see an unknown number. But that voice...I knew that voice.

"Ally?" I moved away from the men talking around me and exited the barn.

A soft chuckle, "Were you expecting someone else?"

I smiled, "Well, not exactly. I wasn't really paying attention to who was calling when I answered. You just caught me off guard. How did you get my number?"

We hadn't talked anymore that night at Jinkins. I left a little bit after my conversation with Kate, dragging Kevin from the bar. I didn't even see her on my way out, she had been swallowed by the crowd. It had been a few days and I figured the next time we'd speak again is whenever we ran into each other again.

"What were you doing?" Her soft feminine voice sounded so good in my ear, I couldn't help the smile on my face. "And I got it from Kate. Actually, she gave it to me earlier today. Said I should call you."

I kicked a rock and shuffled my boots in the dirt, "Oh, okay." That sneaky sister of hers. "And I was just talkin' to some of the guys on the ranch. Just finished the day's work."

"Are you busy this evening?" Her words had a nervous edge.

"Um, no. Was just gonna shower and eat dinner at my momma's house. Why?" I furrowed my brow, unsure of where she was going with this.

"Well, um...," she went silent for a second, then let out a sigh, "would you want to come eat dinner with me instead?" Before I could reply she started to ramble, "I mean, I owe you a meal after you cooked for me. And I thought that it would only be fair to repay you but if you're too tired after work I completely-"

I cut her off, "That sounds nice actually. What time?" I didn't let my brain think of any other reasons for her invitation and I didn't dare to get any hopes up for anything.

She laughed, "Um, whenever you're ready. I'm sure you need to get cleaned up, I know ranch work is dirty work...so like, shower and whatever it is you need to do and just text me when you're on your way?"

"Sounds good. I'll let you know. Text me your address in case I forgot where you're at," I hadn't but she didn't need to know that. "I'll see ya in a bit."

We said our goodbyes and then I just stared at my phone. I couldn't believe she had actually called me and invited me over for dinner. Maybe she was more like Kate than I first thought. Alcohol makes people do funny things... never mind the fact that she had kissed me sober. I shook my head and tucked my phone into my pocket.

A pebble hit me in the forehead, stinging my skin at the sudden impact. I grimaced and turned to see Mike standing there with an 'oh shit' look on his face. He rushed toward me just as I felt warm liquid drip down my face. I reached up and touched blood.

"I am so sorry, Ry! I was trying to hit your shoulder and then you moved and...ah shit, you're bleeding." He sounded so apologetic.

"What the fuck man? How hard did you throw that thing?" I grabbed the bandana out of my back pocket to press it against the cut.

"I didn't throw it that hard! It must have had a sharp edge or something. Maybe your skin is just thin." Mike tried for humor but I just scowled at him.

"You're an idiot. I gotta go. Tell momma I have other dinner plans," before he could answer I turned and walked across the field toward my house.

When I looked in the mirror, I found that the little pebble had left a nice little gash on my forehead. I groaned and made a face as the damned thing wouldn't stop bleeding. Great, now I would have to see Ally with this thing on my face. Not exactly how I wanted to see her again.