Chapter 20

**Hey there! Thank you again for your patience but I did it! Here's another chapter. 

On a side note, I have been working on another story recently and it's in third POV. So if you see any POV errors, my bad 😅 Okay thank you, enjoy!**

----------

Rily

Ally ended up being the first to blurt out an apology. "I am so sorry for leavin' you like that in the hospital. I never should have left."

"Why did you leave?" I questioned.

She ran a hand through her long hair, sighing loudly. "I don't know, Rily. Hell, I do know. I felt guilty that my girlfriend was in a coma because my ex-boyfriend tried to kill her. That's why."

I reached out and placed a gentle hand on her knee. "Ally, I don't blame you for any of this. Actually," I hesitated, "do you remember when we went out for breakfast when we first got here and I had to call my family?" She nodded, looking unsure. "Well I talked to my brother and it turns out someone had tried to light my house on fire right after we left town."

Ally gasped, "What? Why didn't you tell me?"

"At the time, I figured it could wait. My dad had caught the fire while it was still small. Only burnt some of the back patio. And we were out here to get your mind off your family, I didn't want to add to your stress. So I said nothin', but..."

"What?" She prodded softly.

I looked down, breaking eye contact. "While I was outside, just after I ended the call, I thought I saw a man watching us from across the street. I wasn't really sure, and he disappeared as fast as I saw him but he looked sort of familiar. I'm starting to wonder if that was him after all."

When she didn't say anything, I looked up and she was nibbling on her bottom lip, looking away from me. I wasn't sure if I should say anything, so I waited, and then she revealed, "I thought I saw someone watching us too."

Now it was my turn. "What?"

She rested her head in her palm. "When we sat outside drinking wine, the night before the attack, I had the strangest feelin' that we were being watched. It was dark though, and I wasn't even sure, so I said nothin'."

I leaned back into the couch and cursed, "Well shit."

"Yeah..." Ally trailed off.

We sat there for a few quiet moments. I couldn't believe that we had both sensed something and yet neither of us said a damn word. Maybe if we had spoken to each other about things, we could have stopped the attack somehow...unfortunately, I will never know because it did happen. Damn it. I was angry suddenly. Not at Ally, but just at how silly we were being about trying to 'protect' the other.

I stood up and moved away from the couch to grab two beers from the fridge. I took my time standing in the tiny kitchen only a few feet from Ally–I could feel her eyes following everything I did–and popped the caps off before returning to my seat. I handed a beer to her, not saying a word. She slowly took the bottle from me, mumbling a soft 'thanks' before we both drank the ice-cold beer, our waters forgotten.

"What are you thinkin'?" Ally asked softly a minute later.

"I'm thinkin' we were both silly to not tell each other those things," I spat angrily, "I'm thinkin' I'm pissed that I couldn't protect you and I just left you in that house with him. I'm thinkin' that I'm fuckin' angry that this happened to you, and...me," I panted, rage boiling inside me. I couldn't even look at her right now.

"Ry...," she said softly, "will you look at me?" I shook my head, keeping my eyes on the window across from me. She tried again, "Please look at me."

When I didn't respond, she went silent. I closed my eyes, trying to smother my anger. I didn't notice she had moved from the couch until soft hands suddenly grabbed my face. My eyes flew open and instantly met her intense green eyes. Her palms were warm against my cheeks.