Chapter 6

Rily

Ally and I texted a little over the next few days, just casual conversations but it felt good. Since that night at her house, a part of me felt connected to the blonde woman with deep green eyes. Did I know what was going to exactly happen between us? No. But that didn't seem to dampen the little jolts of happiness I felt when I received her texts. She didn't outright say she was gay but she did explain herself in so many words.

When my phone rang that evening, I answered thinking it while trying to hammer a nail into a board that had come loose in my flooring. I pressed the phone between my ear and shoulder, more focused on the task in front of me than the caller.

"Hello?"

"So I heard you went to my sister's house for dinner. That was fast." Kate's voice broke my concentration and I dropped the hammer.

"Kate! Nothing happened." I said a little defensively.

She just laughed, "I didn't say anything did. Just that it was fast. C'mon, share the details. Al won't tell me anything other than she made lasagna and you two just hung out."

I rolled my eyes, "She's right. That's all that happened. Why aren't you pressing her for more information? She is your sister after all." No way I was going to share anything about what Ally and I talked about. Especially when I had no idea what her sister knew about her...situation.

Kate sighed, "I'm a pretty blunt person, Ry. I am. But with my little sister...I can't just say to her 'hey kid, I know you're gay so just admit it' hence my phone call with you."

I sat down on the ground heavily, "What makes you think she's gay? Ally has never once said that."

"I know my sister. She's always been different from the other girls around here. In high school, she dated this one guy for a few years. For a moment I had thought my suspicions had been wrong but then after a little time...it was obvious that she just didn't feel what she wanted to feel for the guy. I don't know why she won't talk to me about it. I've made it clear I have no issue with gay people but still, she says nothing." Kate paused then said with disgust, "Though I do think it might have something to do with that 'best friend' of hers, Jennifer. She's such a bigot."

I chuckled, "I can agree to that. I met her briefly at Jinkins and she called me an 'it'. Ally saw the whole thing. You'll be proud to know she stood up for me and then called Jen an ass. Just to me though, not to her face or anything." The idea of Ally telling her friend that bit made me grin. Laughter burst through the phone's small speaker and soon we were both laughing.

"Oh my god," Kate said, the smile evident in her voice evident, "that is hilarious. I hope one day Ally wise's up and drops that terrible woman." I chuckled and nodded, even though she couldn't see me. "But you still didn't tell me about your night at my sisters, don't think I didn't notice."

"Listen, Kate, I really appreciate our friendship and normally, I would spill all details for you but with this...I really want to respect Ally's privacy. Being gay or queer and coming out, that is a rollercoaster of emotions most people don't have to deal with. 'Straight' is the social norm, especially down south. If she is gay, well, we will all have to wait and find out exactly what she does."

"Ugh, I hate it when you're all-wise, Ry. You're right, I suppose. Doesn't mean it isn't frustrating. Not knowing, ya know."

I groaned, "Tell me about it, Kate."

We chatted about her job for a few minutes before she excused herself and the call ended. I gave my head a little shake and stood up from the hard floor. When you first meet Kate, she can almost seem reserved. But once you get to know her, she's blunt and open about everything. I loved it but this is the first time in our friendship that I couldn't share and I knew it frustrated her. Which I understood in a way. She had a good heart and it was obvious she loved her sister. I imagined she felt a little left out of a part of Ally's life and maybe that hurt her but only time would tell what Ally truly felt.