Chapter 17

Rily

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I squeezed my eyes closed tighter as the incoming sound pinged around my skull. Ouch. Without opening my eyes, I used my senses to take stock of my surroundings as best as I could. I felt stiff and uncomfortable...and there was something that kind of felt like a rigid shoe around one of my ankles. The air around me smelled like chemicals and...medicine. The beeping must be a machine and I must be in a hospital. Shit. My head was fuzzy and I was having a hard time remembering why I was here. I attempted to lift my hand but there was something soft holding it down. I wiggled my fingers and heard a gasp next to me.

"Rily!" I tried to open my eyes but the light in the room made me close them immediately. "Shit, sorry. Give me a second, love."

It was Ally.

Fragments of Tyler's attack came back to me but there were pieces missing. I had come home and she was missing...a man hit me...I think we were also tied up. But after that, it starts to really get blurry. Those missing memories didn't stop the flood of relief coursing through my body because Ally was safe and that's all I cared about.

"Okay, now you should be able to open your eyes. I closed the curtains." Her voice was soft and sweet to my ears.

When I tried again, the room was dim enough that I could finally see. I blinked a few times, trying to clear the edges of my vision and focus on Ally. She sat next to the bed, fidgeting with her fingers and nervously smiling at me. I took in her bruised face–the black and purple and yellow circle around her eye was nasty–and her fresh clothing. Gosh, how long had I been asleep?

"H-hey," I croaked out. Ally quickly handed me a plastic cup with a straw, which I accepted with shaky hands. My limbs feel heavy. I took a few small sips of the cool water before handing it back to her. "Thanks."

She set the cup down and nodded, "Of course...I need to let the nurses know you're awake but...how do you feel?"

"I feel sore, my head is fuzzy, and my shoulder aches. Never mind that though. What did I miss? Are you okay? What happened to Tyler?"

Ally tilted her head, "You don't remember?"

I started to shake my head when the pain exploded. I froze and groaned, "No. My memory...it's a bit fuzzy right now."

"Um, he was killed. By the police. You passed out shortly afterward."

"Killed? Shit...," I trailed off for a moment, trying to think. My brows furrowed, "You didn't say how you were doing...tell me. Also, how long have I been out?"

Ally glanced away, "I-I'm okay, I guess...I still can't believe it happened but you saved me, Rily. 'Thank you' feels too small for something like that." She turned back to me and rushed to change the topic. "You've been in a coma for about 4 days actually...I really need to get the doctor, love...hold on."

Then she was gone, running out of the room.

Seeing Ally turn away from me, like she felt shame or something, hurt my heart. I did it because I loved her. I didn't need a thank you. And I've been in a coma for 4 fucking days? Are you serious right now? I pushed myself up, ignoring the burning pain in my shoulder. I touched my face gently and found lots of bandages and cuts in the process of healing. Where was my family? I wish Ally hadn't run away. I hated feeling like I was missing things and I wanted to comfort her. She had nothing to feel bad about.

There was a firm tap on the door before a tall Black man walked wearing a long white coat over a dark blue dress shirt, tucked into black slacks. He was maybe in his early 40s, with neatly trimmed hair graying around the edges, and when he saw me, he gave me a friendly smile.