Chapter 9

Rily

"Ya!" I yelled, working the large group of cattle into formation toward the new area they would be living in for the next couple of weeks. My horse, Casanova, kept pace and listened to my every movement like she could read my mind. The gray and white Appaloosa was smart as a whip and was well trained beyond her years. Working cattle was fun for her and we quickly got the job down with the help of Mike and two other men.

I leaned down and patted Casanova's dark neck, feeling a coat slick with sweat. "Good girl, that was perfect as always. You deserve a shower and a sweet. How's that sound?" The horse huffed and whinnied, making me think she understood exactly what I was offering. I grinned.

"You and that damn horse, Ry. I ain't ever seen a horse enjoy cattle rustling as much as Casanova over there. You two make it look easy while the rest of us are over here struggling." Mike said and the other two men next to him agreed.

I laughed, "Me either, Mikey. C'mon guys, let's get back. Race ya!" I said, already turning and launching into a gallop. Casanova squealed with delight at getting a chance to run at full speed. I could barely hear the other men's grunts and groans as they attempted to catch up over the sound of the mares pounding steps.

I reached the main barn in minutes and eased the horse into a trot and then into a walk, letting her muscles ease slowly from the fun. I let her set the pace and a slow walk was what she picked, moving steadily slower. I was sweating myself, today was hotter than it had been in a couple of weeks. I slipped off my hat for a second to wipe my face clear of sweat with a bandana I kept in my pocket when I heard someone clear their throat nearby.

Slipping my hat back on, I looked up to see none other than Ally, leaning casually against a fence post, her eyes locked onto me. She hadn't seen that I noticed her yet, her eyes a dark rich color, looking full of lust or something close to it as she checked out my body. I grinned, watching her eyes slowly scan down, and guided my horse closer to where Ally was, which seemed to snap her out of her trance. She looked up, her cheeks pink with embarrassment, and gave me a tiny wave.

"Hey there, little lady," I tipped my hat and winked, "what do I owe the pleasure of this surprise today?" My accent was exaggerated and she laughed.

"When you speak like that, you seem like you could be from the wild west days. Damn Ry...maybe Rider does fit you after all." Ally's eyes did that slow travel over my body once again before looking back up at me. "I arrived just in time."

I climbed down from the mare and walked closer, "You better stop lookin' at me like that, or I'm going to have to take you into the barn and show you a thing or two, Ally girl." I whispered, keeping my voice low and sultry.

Ally leaned in, meeting my stare, "Maybe I want you to, cowgirl."

I wanted to pull her against me and crush my lips against hers but the sound of hoof steps behind us made me roll my eyes and lean back just slightly. Mike rode up to us, eyes pinging back and forth between the two of us. I watched as the slow knowing grin spread over his face as he got closer.

"Well, if it isn't Ally Young! Hey girl, what are you doing here?" He asked, even though I'm sure he assumed something else entirely.

Ally glanced at me then back to my brother, "Hey Mike, nice to see you again. I was just in town and thought I'd pop in on Rily."

I had almost expected a lie but when she spoke truthfully, my chest felt warm with affection for this sun-kissed beauty. I knew the more I was about Ally, the deeper I was in with her. I hadn't even felt like this in my first relationship and I was with that woman for over a year. Technically we weren't even in an official relationship...which could complicate things if this crashed and burned. I knew it would hurt if Ally walked away from me. And I could only pray that she never would.