The Collector (Platonic Scenario - "You're It") (The Owl House S2)

Start from the beginning

The large doors to the throne room were pushed open with a sweeping creak, and a group of five villagers walked forward in varying degrees of suspicion and curiosity. At the sight of you, four of the five villagers fell into hushed gossip and called you by an unfamiliar name.

King was scurrying at the flank of the group, his arms raised in a 'Y' shape as if to herd the much taller people in a specific direction. "Okay," he shouted to ensure that his voice was heard, "here we are!"

The droop of his tail and the way he was tapping his claws together while glancing between the heads of the villagers were indicative of the knot twisting his stomach. "The old throne room. Just like I said," mumbled King, dropping his gaze to the floor.

Murmurs of bewilderment and speculation spread from villager to villager as each one noticed the Collector, who had tucked their knees into their chest and were spinning vertically without rising or falling.

At the sight of additional players, the Collector gasped with joy and swooped to the front of the group with such haste that the villagers recoiled in fear. There was a cyclops woman, a two-headed reptilian, a humanoid with flaming purple hair, a shorter gremlin and Steve the former Coven Scout.

The Collector was shaking their fists up and down in an outpouring of enthusiasm. "Everyone, go hide! And I'll count to three hundred!"

Waving a hand as if it would dispel the fear leaking out of the villagers' wide eyes and clenched jaws, you babbled, "This place is a maze. I'll go get you folks a map."

In the couple of minutes that passed in your absence, a thread of unrest was sewn into the group in the form of the cyclops narrowing her eye at the vacant throne. "Where's Emperor Belos?" she demanded, and the other villagers repeated the question while glaring at the cracks in the walls.

"Ol' Steve's gonna be late to brunch," chuckled Steve, pointing a thumb over his shoulder at the doors.

The noise of confusion soared to outraged chatter until it had descended into overlapping chaos.

Once the Collector had finished counting to three hundred, they turned to search for the villagers. No one was even pretending to hide-save for King, who took one look at the Collector and backed away from the group-, and this caused the smile to slip from their face.

King scurried to the opposite end of the group and clutched Steve's gloved hand, tugging on it with all his might and thrusting a paw at one of the more distant corners.

Steve allowed himself to be pulled for a few steps before he crouched and looked at King with an air of friendliness. "Did you need something, little buddy?" His answer came as all the voices behind him ceased at once, followed by absolute silence.

You staggered back into the throne room with the map tucked under your arm to find it empty of people besides the Collector, Steve and King. The Collector was levitating next to a gobsmacked Steve by the throne, and King was in the furthest corner.

King was cowering half-draped under a tapestry of Emperor Belos, eyes shut and paws covering where his ears would have been.

After squinting your beleaguered eyes and opening your mouth slightly, you peered around the space. "Where has everyone gone? Did the game start already?"

The Collector floated over to you like a brooding child, head down and lips pursed into a pout. This discontent morphed into a smile when you looked at them for an answer. "I sent them to the Dark Place," explained the Collector, and the unconcerned ease with which they spoke was that of someone describing the weather.

"The Dark Place?" you repeated with a hint of hesitancy, wondering if it was a nickname for a shadowy corner or a subterranean part of the castle.

"It's where the fibbers go," they said.