Chapter 50

Chapter 50

The walls are a dingy white with dirt smudges and finger prints, the windows are thick glass with barbed wire across them. The dark tiled floor is hard and shiny. Rylie steps over a piece of gum someone has dropped or thrown on the jail house floor in front of her as the line she is in with the other visitors moves slowly. The cry of a small child takes her out of her reverie. A woman standing next to her is struggling to hold a baby in one arm that's sucking on a bottle while another child is between them tugging on her jacket wanting to be picked up.

She pulls a small container out of the bag she carries trying to hand it to the little boy who has plopped down on the floor refusing to move. He pouts and continues to cry looking up at her from his spot on the cold hard floor with his big tear filled eyes. He reaches his arms out but can't reach the container she tries to hand it to him from where he sits.

Rylie can't take it anymore looking from the crying child to the woman. "If you don't mind, I'll hold him for you until we get to the door." She squats on the floor as she speaks taking the container out of the woman's hand giving it to the little boy. He stops crying as he takes it from Rylie.

"Thank you." The woman says shifting the little girl on her hip with similar features to the little boy.

"It's not a problem, how old is he?" Rylie ask captivated by the dark haired child with big brown eyes much like her own. Holding her arms out to the little boy, he grins at her revealing two deep dimples in his chubby cheeks as he holds out his arms toward her dropping the container. Rylie picks him up along with the container from the floor. He wraps his little arms around her neck and lays his cheek against hers.

"Thank you, he's two, I never thought I would find myself in a place like this. You think you know the person you grew up with and the next thing you know you're here wondering if you ever knew them at all. My sister has always been to trusting of the men she dates." The woman says absently.

Rylie shakes her head in understanding. "Me too, I'm here for my sister to. She has a new born...little girl." Rylie mentions mesmerized by the little boy hugging her. She rubs the dried tears from his chubby cheeks making him smile at her. He lays one of his hands on her cheek caressing her face. She smiles into his hand, he gurgles and bounces in her hold. She bounces and rocks him back and forth teasing his nose and feeding him the cheerios from the container as the women move through the line to visit their individual sisters.

Monique and Ivana are in the same jail. Monique has adapted as best she can to her new surroundings. Of course she doesn't like being locked up she cries into her pillow at night and thinks about how her life has turned into an even bigger nightmare now that she has Randi. Most of her thoughts are for her baby and Jayson. She didn't want either in her life before but misses them both desperately. Chace gave her a printed copy of the picture he took of her, Rylie and Randi. She keeps it stuck up on the wall over her jail bed. During the day around the population of other jail inmates she keeps her mouth shut, never bragging and being cautious of certain female inmates.

Some of the other women locked up with her worked at The Mansion. She's been approached by a few that are upset at the attention she is bringing to them and the fact that she helped cause their place of employment to now be closed down. It's just a matter of time before one of them comes after her, she also worries that the Senator has sent someone after her. She doesn't say much to the guards, it makes her scared whenever they approach her she worries that one of them is on the Senator's payroll and about to do her harm. She has no idea that the men representing her are the ones working for Senator Layton.