Chapter 30

Chapter 30

The next morning Rylie is up dressed and waiting on Leland when he arrives early to pick her up for work. 

“Do you want to stop somewhere and get something before I take you in?”  He ask surprising her. 

“Well yeah Leland, I didn’t think we could.  I mean is that allowed, is it alright to do that?”  She remarks. 

“Sure if I can take you to a little place I go to sometimes.  Don’t worry we won’t be late.”  He explains smiling at her she smiles back feeling at ease. 

He takes her to a coffee shop that’s nearby her job.  As they are going in she notices that most of the customers have on police uniforms and some military.  Leland guides her to a seat after they order their breakfast. 

“So how often do you come here I didn’t know this place was here?”  She smiles behind her coffee cup while taking a sip. 

“Enough to catch up with old friends and keep aware of what’s going on in the streets.”  He says sipping on his coffee. 

“You want me to tell you what I know about my sister so some of these guys can arrest her.”  Rylie says defensively. 

“I don’t want you to tell me anything you don’t want to.  I think they already know about your sister Rylie, the only thing they don’t know is where she’s at but they will find her?”  He blatantly says. 

Their food arrives and they start to eat.  Looking around the room she notices a few men at a table keep looking their way.  She can appreciate how forthright Leland is they have developed a comfortability with each other from all of the times he’s drove her around.  

“Leland do you know those guys at that table across from us, I feel like they are staring at me?” 

“Well maybe they think you look like somebody they’ve arrested before or they just like looking at beautiful women.”  He responds. 

Rylie lays her fork down having only ate half of her waffle.  “You’re trying to tell me my sister has been arrested before?”   She replies. 

“Do you want to know the kind of life your sister was really leading or do you want to continue to keep the blinders on and ruin your own?  I understand your loyalty to her but she isn’t the woman you think she is.  Chace asked me to look into her background, I found some things.  I gave him the report yesterday after work and asked him if he was going to tell you.  He said he didn’t think you wanted to hear it from him, he told me if I wanted to tell you about it I should go ahead.”  He explains. 

Rylie squirms in her seat feeling uncomfortable after hearing that Chace doesn’t want to talk to her about it.  “Leland I think….” 

Leland pushes his plate to the side.  “The men at that table are detectives and there’s one officer sitting with them.  They can tell you what they told me about your sister or we can get up and walk out of here and never talk about it again it’s up to you.”