Chapter 79 | Acceptance

Start from the beginning

I let out an instant sarcastic grin. "It's me, uncle. Everything is on me."

"I didn't call you here so that you can keep blaming yourself for nothing." I look up at him and purse my lips.

"I...was worried, when you called. Is....everything-" I keep on babbling.

"Yes, it is. It's just I am..." he leans forward and intertwines his fingers. "Why aren't you seeing your mother?"

I poke my tongue, unknowingly on my cheek, and lean back, acting confident, but I look like a jerk. "I don't want to."

Silence.

"Who asked for your choice?" I shift my eyes from the ceiling to his face now. "Meeting or loving your parents is not a choice, Jungkook. It's an obligation."

"After all she did?" I let my face nod lightly.

"What did she do? Keeping you inside her for nine months?" He doesn't blink even a little.

"That's not-"

"Pay her back for that and end this thing. Can you?"

"Uncle-"

"No, Jungkook. You don't speak tonight, because it's nonsense. Are you seriously making her suffer at this age?"

"It's her deeds. I am not making her suffer."

"I don't believe you, son. I can't even imagine you saying all this." He keeps on moving his head around.

"Your dad..." he looks at the table. "He told me once, "Joon, out of every other worry in this life, I am glad I have a son like him. I am glad I have a wife like her. I am glad she gave birth to him. If I have to leave this world at any moment, I will leave happily, knowing my son will look after his mother. They are complete without me."

He is speaking so lightly and smiling side by side. He is not making it up; it's coming bare out of his mouth. "And if you don't believe me, son, go and ask your mother what your father's last words were when he was shot?"

Still processing his words, and picturing dad in front of me, I bow my head and let the tears go back inside. "What did he say?" I say without looking up.

"Jungkook will take care of you," he says after some seconds. My eyes open abruptly, making the tears drop to fall on the carpet. I open my eyes wide and purse my lips together, not to let the muffled cry escape my mouth.

"Son," Uncle stands up and sits right on my side, and taps my back. "I think I am the eldest in your contacts. For that sake, just listen to what I say."

I stay quiet, my ears all open.

"Ombre has suffered a lot. Her whole life, you have seen yourself. She has struggled with everything and lived with the fact that she did that. But when I see you like this.."

I look at him with numb eyes as he stops talking. "I regret telling her to live and not to die."

My eyes were still wide open, waiting for his explanation. He wants her to die?

"My motive wasn't to make her feel the pain of all this. The only reason I wanted her to live was to bring you up and turn you into a sensible man. So that, whenever the things open up, despite defying the facts, you would understand. You would understand that whatever happened, it was a mistake. But today, seeing you like this makes me think about my words that day. What was the point of requesting her to live, when all she got was pain all along?"

I lower my head again, my heart racing, and my body starts heating up.

"If she wasn't alive today, you would have reacted the same, because there would be no one to tell you the truth. What's the difference, son? Is her existence pointless?"