25. For Now

"Vara, it's time to go backstage!" Sharon yells out to me above the crowd. I turn away from watching Shawn and nod to her. Taking one last sip of my 2 drink of the night, I place my glass on the table and wave to the boys as I jump down from the booth and make my way backstage with Sharon.

"Go kill it!" Louis yells to me.

"You got this V!" Zayn chimes in.

"Break a leg," Harry adds with a smile.

I wink at him, "Thank you guys!" Waving one last time.

——

- Harry's POV-

Something fell out of my bab- Vara's pocket when she jumped off but I can tell I'm the only one that noticed as the boys return to chatting and dancing along to Shawn.

I reach for the card and notice it says Vara on top. This must be the card that came with the flowers he got her...I shouldn't open it. But I already feel myself lifting up the card to read what's inside but I stop myself when I hear a voice on stage.

"So I have a special friend here tonight and we want to share a new song with you all. Is that alright?!" Shawn yells into the mic and the crowd goes insane as Vara walks out with a purple mic in her hand.

She's glowing and beautiful and I can't look away. The way the glitter shines and how the material hugs her curves has me in a trance.

I stand and Louis pushes my shoulder a little. "You're drooling." He laughs.

I roll my eyes. "Shut up." I still have the note in my hand and decided I'll just give it back to her without reading it.

Vara walks up to Shawn and gives him a quick hug that's shown on the big screen for everyone to see. His hands are around her waist and I can tell he's squeezing her tight in excitement. I didn't need to see it on a big screen so thanks for that. I take a sip of my tequila drink and look back at the stage. Thankfully they stopped hugging.

"We're going to sing a new song we wrote together and we hope you enjoy." He says as he starts to strum his guitar. The crowd goes crazy and then they quiet down as he starts to sing. (A/N: Play Air by Shawn Mendes if you want the full experience!)

"Never thought that we would end up here
Should've known it from the start
I know you mean it when you say you love me
But we're trying way too hard
Used to think that we would last forever
How could I have been so wrong?
Never thought I'd be the one to say this
What if our time has come and gone?" Shawn sings.

What the fuck. They wrote this together? She feels this way? I furrow my eyebrows as I feel eyes on me. I look to my right and see Louis looking at me. Probably wondering the same thing.

Are we trying too hard? Is this it?

Vara closes her eyes and starts to sing the chorus with him. She sounds beautiful but my heart is breaking even more when I hear the lyrics and how she really feels.

You, you don't mean no harm
But you're stringing me along and I don't have the time to spare
And I, I'm trying hard to breathe
But you're suffocating me, this time I'm coming up for air
Air, air, air, air, air, air
A-air, a-air, a-air, air

"The fuck." I say lowly as I take a sip of my drink again. I'm suffocating her? I stringed her along?

"Maybe it's how she felt when you were having troubles," Louis says to me. That doesn't really make me feel any better. Yeah we're in a good place now but if this is how she felt why didn't she tell me? Was I too much for her?