For one thing, there was no telling what might have happened if Colin and Axel had been left to become ordinary privates who received no instructions from Rainer. Their anger at Magnar's broken agreement could have taken the form of outright murder. It was obvious that Rainer could not allow Colin to be harmed. The man did not even consider this option for a moment. Colin had to be safe and sound.

Secondly, no matter how much the wolf cared about the teenager, the teenager continued to be an extremely valuable prisoner. As well as Axel himself, because of his rank in the ranks of Magnar and his recognition on the battlefield. He was, after all, a renowned warrior, skilled in the use of weapons.

But were both Colin and Axel really valuable hostages? Magnar's behavior showed that this tyrant wanted nothing more than to kill a wolf. He would go to any lengths to end the war in his favor, regardless of the losses. But could the sinister fox really risk the lives of his own son and brother? To Rainer it seemed very illogical, even impossible. After all, Magnar himself had demanded to see his son before the negotiations. During the negotiations, the first issue he raised was Colin's freedom. For Rainer, it was the most natural reflex that every parent has when their child is in danger. The man therefore assumed that Magnar must have been bluffing. He did not believe that a sinister fox could sacrifice his own son. Perhaps the fox's brashness was aided by the fact about the ruse he had prepared.

The ruse prepared by Magnar assumed that Knut, without knowledge of his plans, would participate in the conspiracy. Of course, the hostile jarl did not expect that Knut really wanted to make history as a mediator in Scandinavia's greatest internal conflict in years. Magnar apparently felt overconfident in wanting to believe that on that memorable evening he would crush the rebellion and ultimately win the war. He knew that when he showed the defeated rebels Rainer's severed head, their spirits would completely break and they would be forced to surrender. Unfortunately for Magnar, his plan failed in part. True, the rebels lost the battle and were forced into an exhausting retreat. However, Magnar failed to recapture his son and brother. In this situation Rainer had two valuable prisoners and his opponent one. However, the problem was that the one captive was much more valuable to Rainer than it seemed.

Rainer loved his blood brother Thorstein. Lynx had accompanied the wolf back to his childhood days. Their families lived in friendship with each other, always there to help each other. Years ago, when Rainer was struggling to make his parents' farm survive, it was Thorstein, younger than him, who would come to him and help him. Even though Lynx's family was in a difficult situation themselves, no one forbade Thorstein from stepping away from his own responsibilities so that he could help Rainer. The wolf himself never forgot that Lynx and his relatives had helped him survive. After his plundering expeditions into England and France, Rainer always shared his valuables with them. No one asked, demanded or even suggested that Rainer should pay his debts. The wolf and the lynx were always there for each other like a married couple. In poverty, wealth, health, sickness, happiness and misfortune. One had never let the other down. Never.

The fact that Thorstein was now at the mercy of the tyrant Magnar made Rainer sick to his stomach. The thought of it couldn't get out of his head and the worst part was that there was nothing he could do about it. There was no way to even try to trade captives with Magnar. Not after the disgraceful way he broke the agreement and gave Rainer a bloody battle by force. Even if the wolf wanted to exchange Axel for Thorstein by force he knew his allies would not allow it. Their forces were too exhausted and winter had set in Scandinavia for good. Any movement of troops in this weather and such low temperature would be like putting a rope around their own neck. Besides, Rainer knew that Magnar would not exchange Thorstein for Colin or Axel for a simple reason.

"How long will Thorstein endure the torture in Magnar's dungeon before he reveals to him where we are hiding?" - Thought the dobbed Rainer.

Probably the lynx will keep all secrets in his mouth at all costs. He will do anything to endure the torture and remain silent. But is it possible for anyone to endure two months of torment and not reveal secrets for even a moment's rest? Isn't incising flesh with a dull blade, draining blood, beating or cutting off fingers enough reason to open one's mouth and start talking?