Chapter 16 [part 1]

One thought kept running through my head.

You don't know someone until you know their greatest fears.

I would never have suspected that all that darkness was hidden behind a smug smile.

But now I had seen it, witnessed what Caelus was hiding, and I needed to go with him, to help him, to be with him.

My body, my mind, and my heart were crying out for it.

To be with him.

Why did I feel this way? I hated him.

I hated him. Right?

'Caelus! Wait!' I implored him once more, climbing up the hole that had taken us inside.

Once I was out, the rock moved, making it clear that it would not let us through until further notice.

When would we return to that horrendous place?

I didn't want to know, I didn't even want to think about it.

I just concentrated on following Caelus' footsteps.

I found him in the meadow we came through the portal.

He was sitting, watching the sun slowly descend, giving way to the three moons that heralded the coming of night.

I approached quietly, pretending he didn't hear me, though I knew he did.

I sat beside him, wrapping my arms around my legs.

The wildflowers brushed my hands, leaving their perfume on my skin.

I wanted to say so many things to him.

I wanted to tell him that I was with him, that I wouldn't leave him, that I would help him in any way I could. That we were together in this.

But the words wouldn't come out.

Only silence flooded me and the image of the sun saying goodbye made it clear that I just had to stay there.

There by his side.

We watched the sunset together, appreciating how the sky changed from light blue, to a combination of orange and purple, until it turned completely black.

I will always remember that moment as one of the most beautiful in my life.

For a second, time stood still, and I could appreciate being alive, being able to see something as beautiful as that sky, sitting next to him in the soft grass of that foreign Kingdom.

I released my hands from my legs, resting them on the grass.

His hand took me by surprise, but I didn't let him notice.

He took my hand gently, as if he was making sure I was really there.