Chapter 10 [part 1]

Breathe, breathe.

I told myself over and over again.

How were we supposed to do that?

Neither of us could breathe underwater and I didn't even have my magic to create that possibility.

Besides, I had never been underwater before.

I had dipped my feet in Crescendo Lake, but I had done nothing more than that.

I found it totally impossible to believe that I would now dive into a River, without even knowing how to swim.

Caelus took off his jacket, vest and boots. He was left alone in his white shirt and tight leather pants. For the first time I saw him as an ordinary man, not as the chief of the Lost Men or leader of the Lost Kingdom, just as a man.

I was left in the same state as him, without my jacket and boots.

My feet treading on the cold rocks beneath them.

'Are you ready? Follow me,' the mermaid said and motioned for us to start walking behind her.

It seemed crazy, but neither of us hesitated to do so. We simply followed her into the depths.

When the water came up to my shoulders, there was a survival instinct telling me to get out of there.

But I felt a hand on my hand.

It wasn't the mermaid.

It was Caelus.

'Let's do it together.'

Holding hands, somehow giving each other strength, we took a big breath of air and went into the water.

I tried to open my eyes down there, but it seemed to be too dark for it to do any good.

My lungs were holding in as much air as they could, but I could feel the water trying to get in through my nostrils to flood me from the inside.

I was still holding on to Caelus' hand, holding it as tight as the air I still had left.

What was going on?

Had this been a trap to drown us?

I could finally open my eyes.

The water burned my pupils but I held on.

Mermaids swam around us and I feared the worst.

Until the blonde came up to my face and with a kiss on my cheek seemed to give me the air I longed for.

I watched as the black-haired mermaid did the same with Caelus.

A helmet of sorts covered us, and I felt like I was out of the water, even though I obviously wasn't.

'Respirums, they used them to get to the Castle under the sea before the magic disappeared. I guess now they are using them again.' I could hear Caelus perfectly. He quickly let go of my hand, perhaps regretting taking it in the first place. He just wanted me to get into the water.

'Here you are, which one shall I start with?' The red-haired mermaid said to us.

The other two swam under our feet and grabbed them tightly.

'What are they doing?' I spoke underwater, something amazing, but it didn't take away the fear of what was happening.

'They'll make sure you don't escape.'

With our ankles secured from below, floating in the water, I felt more helpless than ever.

I thought the mermaid would notice my fears and take advantage, but for some reason, she turned her head to my side.