Chapter 5 [part 2]

The deal was simple.

We would both go to the tree together.

He would be in charge of guiding us but not taking care of me, that would be my responsibility. Likewise, if something happened to him, which he didn't think was possible, I would follow the path without him.

I would draw the missing part of the map, and in case something happened to me, which he thought was entirely possible, he would look for the missing part and continue without me.

It was a deal.

We would leave the next morning. We were to sail for about a day to the island that lay between the two continents that separated the lands of our world. That island did not appear on all maps, as many said it did not exist. Those who did believe it existed never approached it because the ships supposedly disappeared mysteriously without being able to return. They called it the Skull Circle, because around it there was only death.

Caelus escorted me to one of the cabins at the bottom of the ship.

It was a huge ship. In my calculations, hundreds of people could travel at the same time on it.

He opened the door to the cabin, which consisted only of a small bed and a window that showed the sea lapping against the walls of the ship.

He instructed me to rest, as we headed back towards the Lost Kingdom to get what we would need.

'You can't get off the ship. If you get off, Aurora will tear you to pieces and since we have a deal, I will leave without you. Is that clear?'

Sweetly as that, he slammed the cabin door shut and left me locked in waiting for him.

I felt the boat move, which was not an incredible experience. I wasn't used to the water, much less sailing.

I untangled the sack from my back and laid it on the floor. Then, I unbuttoned my wet coat and stretched it next to the sack.

My pants were also damp, so I decided to change them for some of the ones I had packed and got into bed, hiding under the cover.

I can't say I slept, but I did rest my body.

It's impossible to sleep in a place where you don't feel safe, no matter how tired you are.

The ship stopped some time later and I assumed we had reached shore. I didn't move from the bed for fear that the fairy was peeping in the windows looking for me.

I was happy that someone like Rayn had regained his natural form with the return of magic, but someone like Aurora perhaps should never have gotten her powers back.

Looking at the top of my cabin, I thought about how different this bed felt from the one the Laoch family had given me.

I thought of Cara, Russell's mother, with her motherly sweetness. Of Fred, and how our relationship had changed after what had happened. Of the little twins Aly and Annie, how I missed them. And I thought of Rich too, how he must still hate me for the fate of his brothers and father. I regretted not being able to say goodbye to them, but I trusted that Galaga would take care of calming them down, at least until I got back.

If I came back, anyway.

I did not rule out the possibility that I might die on this quest. It was dangerous, madness indeed, but the prize was too good not to try.

If I could reach the Tree and get the cure to dark magic, I could achieve peace for all the Kingdoms, without having to have a child with Jonah.

That would never happen.