Chapter 2 [part 2]

Syform assured me that we were close, but it really felt like he was telling me that every few miles.

I couldn't understand the gravity of my promise.

I didn't want to understand it.

The thought of Russell succumbing to darkness gave me so much pain that I decided I was going to keep my promise no matter what it cost me.

After a long distance, the woods began to be left behind and there was only dry grass, almost dirt.

At some point, this place had been something else.

I could feel it in the air.

I even felt like I had been there myself.

'What happened here?' I asked very softly, trying to respect the silence of the place.

'The first war between the kingdoms of Bieno and Crescendo took place here. The two brothers raised their swords against each other here. It is said that the Gods were so angry that they would not allow anything to grow where the blood of those who were to be united was spilled. It is a cursed land, which for years remained uninhabited, until the magic faded and it became a refuge for those who had nowhere to go. There, further down the hill, among the ruins of what was once the brothers' palace lie hidden the outcast, the ones no one wants, the lost men and women.'

Although I wasn't convinced that this was a good plan, I couldn't help but think that what had been done to these people was unjust. Not only had they lost their magic, but they had also lost their place, their Kingdoms. I could not so easily forgive those who denied me their help when I needed it most.

And I suspected they would feel the same way.

'Syform, how will this continue? You said you would explain everything to me when we were reaching the Lost Kingdom, and from what I see, we are close.'

'What do you want to know?'

What I don't want to know would be easier to answer.

'The Tree of Life, Caelus, I need to understand everything.'

Syform hastened his gallop, as if he was trying to reach the destination before answering my questions.

'All the legends, stories, fables, whatever you have heard of the Tree are true.'

'So it's true that the Tree can fulfill any wish?'

'Many men and women gave their all to find that out. Yes my dear, the Tree can fulfill any wish. But it is not easy to reach it.'

'The tests right?'

'Yes indeed, there will be many tests that you will have to face. But that is why you must take Caelus with you.'

'What are those tests like? What do I have to do?'

In the stories they only named them as riddles, as rhymes that were repeated non-stop.

I couldn't believe it was all true.

The gallop was getting faster and faster but I kept up with it.

Lightning understood me, as if we were one, we moved to the beat of the wind.

Suddenly Syform stopped his horse.

I had to do the same with Lightning and slowly turn back to Syform.

'What was that?'

I didn't want to believe that he had decided to run like that just to avoid answering my questions.