二十二

"I understand Y/N-kun that you are still grieving the loss of Rengoku-san. Something I am still going through too. But I must ask that you must carry on with your missions." Oykata-sama spoke softly as he was nestled on top of his futon.

You sat by his side with a blank expression as you listened to his words. His words felt so comforting yet it would not be the same. It was merely a month since you seen his face go blank. As for the first time the bright embers of flame in his eyes slowly died out.

And it was only a few weeks since you last gave his remaining family a letter explaining his death. All and all you felt like shit. Giyuu being on his own mission didn't help. But still here you were.

"Did you hear me Y/N-kun?" Oykata remarked cutting through your thoughts.

Your eyes looked up before you shook your head making the man smile. He pulled himself up from his covers placing his hand on your shoulder.

"It's hard Y/N yes. But you must understand Rengoku's dream must still live on. And you and the boy Tanjirou are the only ones that can do so." He muttered before pulling his hand away.

"This is why I wanted to retire a long time ago." You whispered putting your head on your hand.

"A thousand lives are on my shoulders. A thousand faces reflect eerily in my eyes.. Now a single dream I have to hold onto... what else can I even do Oykata-sama?" You questioned which caused a slight drop in his smile before he sighed.

"You can do as your ancestors did before you." He responded digging inside of his sleeve pulling an envelope from it.

"What?"

"Your family Y/N was a powerful one in forms of both physical power and government power. The origins of your family were found as far back as the Sengoku Jidai." He stated placing the envelope in front of you.

"Their power was said to have come from their eldest ancestor. The originator of your clan. Tomoe Tsukuten.." He stated making you cock a brow.

"My mother?" You questioned pulling the envelope up to your face.

"No, before her. Tomoe was the most powerful Demon Slayer of your clan to date. Even so her history has long been lost. The only things that are known were found by your mother. Who was one of the only women in your clan to re-earn the name of Tomoe."

"Re-earn?"

"Tomoe being as powerful as she was. Was honored so by her name being kept away from the family. Unless a warrior of their clan rose to her power. And your mother was the only one in centuries to do so." Oykata-sama spoke softly where you sat interested by this new tale.

"Really? So my ancestor Tomoe was powerful? How?"

"We do not know.. However it was recorded that at the age of 21 she returned to Japan. With her the style of breathing you use now." He answered pouring himself a cup of tea from the kettle next to him.

"Tea?"

"Iie kekkou desu Oykata-sama." You said bowing your head when you opened the envelope. In it were 2 tickets for a boat trip of some sort.

"Sumimasen Oykata-sama but what are these for?" You questioned causing him to chuckle weakly.

"It is exactly as you see Y/N-kun. In this envelope I have given you two tickets for a trip to China."

"China!?" You questioned rapidly jumping to your feet in shock.

"Forgive me but why so far away Oykata-sama? Are we not in the middle of a war?" You questioned quickly to which he nodded with the same smile he always had. In it however was a mischievous smirk you hadn't seen in him before.

"China was the location said to have been left when Tomoe returned home to Japan. And because of the legends with her came the Starlight Breathing correct?" He questioned which only made you more confused.

"Hai?" You replied in a confused tone taking your seating back in front of him.

"Therefore it can be inferred that in China."

"Tomoe learned Starlight breathing." You answered for him looking off to the side in realization.

Oykata-sama nodded taking a sip of tea beside him. He swallowed down the liquid before taking a sighing breath. Placing the cup down he spoke again.

"Because we are in war. It is best that one of our finest, and likely the finest Demon Slayer, learn their breathing style to its fullest potential." He confirmed causing you to nod in agreement.

"That maybe true Oykata-sama. But why two tickets? There's only one of me."

"Which brings me to my next request. I must ask you to take Tomioka-kun with you." He requested taking another sip from his cup.

Just the mention of Giyuu's name turned your face red. You hid it with your sleeve as you sighed. This would likely be a long and dangerous trip. You didn't want him of all people to get hurt. In fact you didn't want it at all.

"I can't lose another person Oykata-sama.." You whispered which was so faint that Oykata-sama nearly didn't hear you.

"By taking him. You won't." He replied looming at you with a kindness.

His eyes although grey and cold somehow felt warm and comforting more than any fire. Another sigh escaped your lips. You looked away.

"He is unconfident Y/N. When he doesn't realise the full capabilities within himself.. I'm praying that this trip will enlighten him. And only you can get to him in such a manner." He again reassured staring at you in a kindness.

Your eyes returned to match his gaze. Giyuu would learn from you? What a first that would be. But he was right. Too right, you knew for a long time that Giyuu debated his position as a water hashira. But why was he like this? What drove him to such a thought.

Your eyes closed as you imagined his silly haircut. His ponytail lying behind his back so neatly. His haori so nicely kept. The coldness of his eyes. The warmth in his heart.

Your eyes opened this time it reflected what was now your newest passion. The newest thing to protect with all you had.

Quickly you bowed into a kowtow form.

"Hai. I accept your proposal Oykata-sama.. I shall learn of my ancestors powers.. And I shall break Giyuu out of his self pity. I swear it! So that we may return to end this age of bloodshed. To protect what is left of my family!" You cried into the floor. Your forehead slamming against it with every word you shouted.

Oykata smiled placing his hand on top of your head.

"Thank you Y/N.. Thank you.."

A smile spread across your face. Blood Dripping down from your forehead. Tears dropping down from your eyes. It was the promise of not only a Demon Slayer. But the sweared promise of a Demon and a Warrior.

 But the sweared promise of a Demon and a Warrior

#1200