24. Look Yourself Right In The Eyes

Start from the beginning

"So you are part Amity?" Asked Yoongi.

"I am, but also Abnegation, and Dauntless. I mostly favour my Abnegation side, however, and if I was going to be honest with myself, I should have picked Abnegation. But I ended up choosing Dauntless because I missed my brother."

"Wah," said Jimin, his eyes widening. "That's heavy. I knew you guys were close, but damn."

"That must have been hard on you," said Taehyung. "Did you tell your brother?"

"No," said Ae-cha. "The only person who knew before now was Jungkook, and he helped me a lot." She smiled at this, glancing at the man in question, and Jungkook returned her smile, before patting her arm affectionately.

"I don't believe our society had the right idea introducing the 'faction before blood' law," said Hobi. "It's destroying one of the closest bonds humankind can have, and it's the sort of self sacrificing love that empires are built on. I don't think you did the wrong thing, Ae-cha."

"You don't?" She asked, looking at him curiously.

"No, of course not," said Hobi. "It means that you value your relationship with your brother so much that you'll make sacrifices just to be with him. That's honourable, and one of the most selfless things you could have done. It's more Abnegation than if you'd picked Abnegation itself."

"I never thought of it that way," said Ae-cha, a little quieter. "Wow. Thank you, Hobi-oppa."

"Welcome," Hobi smiled at her. "Who's going next?"

"I'll go," said Jin, looking a little sober. "I think our parents were Divergent."

"Were?" Clarified Ae-cha.

"They died when we were little," said Taehyung, glancing at his brother. He obviously knew where Jin was going with this.

"Aw, I didn't know that," said Tayeon. "Sorry guys."

"It was a long time ago," Jin shrugged. "We don't remember them much, so it's okay. But one thing I do remember was seeing eomma use her telekinesis when she thought we were asleep. It was so long ago, that I didn't realise it had actually happened until I realised I was a telekinetic myself."

"That's interesting," said Hobi. "But it makes perfect sense. I'm convinced Divergence is genetic. What cross are you two, if you don't mind me asking?"

"We're both Dauntless-Candor," said Taehyung.

"So yeah, that's my fun fact," said Jin. "Someone else's turn now."

"I have one," said Jungkook.

Yoongi's gaze immediately shot to the younger, wondering if he was about to say what he thought he was. Jungkook's expression was firm, mouth set in a determined line, and Yoongi felt proud of him.

"What is it, Kookie?" Ae-cha asked him.

"Yoongi-hyung helped me fake my age so I could initiate two years earlier than I was supposed to."

There was absolute silence for a moment, before Taehyung made a noise like a gas leak.

"So THAT's why you never wanted me or Jiminie to call you 'hyung'? We're OLDER than you?!"

Jungkook looked a little sheepish, and he was smiled awkwardly.

"Uh... yeah? Hyung?"

"Oh my days," Jimin murmured, shaking his head. "I should have known."

"That's actually impressive, Kook," said Hobi. "Not even I knew that. You two hid that secret well."

"We had to," said Yoongi, smiling at Jungkook. "It was a matter of life and death. Kook manifested his ability as a shield extremely early, he was only... what, sixteen, weren't you, Kook-ah?"