21. Can't Hold Me Down Cause You Know I'm A Fighter

Aeri was physically and mentally exhausted

She'd been running for what seemed like hours, herself and Nu-ri separated from the rest of the group, and unable to find anyone who wasn't hell bent on killing them. It seemed that the Dauntless army had withdrawn somewhat, and instead of actively seeking them out, opting to place their troops at all the exit points to the compound, preventing anyone from leaving. The two girls had attempted escape a few times, with Nu-ri shielding the two of them, but both of them were inexperienced, and it resulted in injuries that took Aeri some time to heal with her own abilities.

"Do you think we're the only ones left in here?" Wondered Nu-ri, as the pair traversed the labyrinth of empty concrete that was the underbelly of the Dauntless compound.

"I hope not," Aeri muttered. "But it's beginning to feel that way. We haven't seen anyone else in ages."

"Anyone friendly, you mean," Nu-ri corrected her. "I just hope that means they're all safe, but..."

Gunshots could be heard in the distance, and both of them groaned.

"This way," said Nu-ri, taking her friend's arm, and pulling her down a side corridor.

"This leads back to the pit, Nu-ri!" Aeri hissed in alarm.

"I know, but we've tried everywhere else," Nu-ri responded. She halted for a moment, turning to look at the dark haired Life Force. "Maybe they've regrouped there? I don't know."

"Let's try it," Aeri nodded, finally agreeing with her.

The pair began to move down the hallway again, Aeri's fingertips running hesitantly along the concrete walls as they tried to keep to the edges, prepared to fight for their lives at any moment.

"Wait... someone's coming."

Aeri held out her hand to halt Nu-ri in her tracks as the sound of footsteps could be heard. They were soft, but unmistakable, as though whoever it was was trying to be quick, but also didn't want to be found. The two of them fixed their eyes on the bend in the path ahead, with Nu-ri extending her shield as a protective barrier once again. The footsteps drew closer, before finally, the person rounded the bend, and the two girls breathed a sigh of relief.

"Mi-Reu!" Nu-ri hissed, her shield instantly dropping. She hurried towards him, and he held a finger to his lips, telling her to be quiet.

"Thank goodness you're okay," he muttered, pulling the girl into a hug, and Aeri as well. He appeared to be as happy to see them as they were to see him.

"Where's everyone else?" Asked Aeri, in as soft a whisper as she could manage.

"At the chasm," Mi-Reu replied. "There's this cavern... apparently it's a secret, not many people know it exists. But that's where everyone's hiding. But I was just checking the halls to make sure no one got left behind."