Chapter-34- Where Is Bondita?

Start from the beginning

Once again when I was about to step out of the office, the telephone rang. For a moment I thought of avoiding it but changed my mind the very next moment. When I answered the call, I heard Subbu speaking in tension, "Anirudh, we haven't seen Bondita from school yet. Sumati amma and all of us are too tensed. Why don't you go to her school and look into the matter. See, I think there is nothing to worry. Since Bondita is in her final year, there must be some extra class and nothing else. In case you need any help, let me know. I will also come to school."

I was devastated at the news. I knew something of this sort was waiting for me. My protective instincts told me. Within seconds my eyes welled with tears and I stuttered, "I...I will go and check...". Saying this I hung the phone and rushed to school. The gate was closed and there was no one there. I asked the guard if any students were left inside the classrooms by chance and he denied in a very assertive tone. I pleaded him to allow me to go inside and check by myself. After a lot of coercion, he ultimately agreed and took me inside. I searched everywhere from classrooms to library to science labs to washrooms, including the store room, but there was no trace of Bondita. I enquired if the guard knew anything about her to which he said that he was the night watchman and he joined the duty only at five o clock, which means one hour after the school closed.

A pang of sorrow struck me. I felt like I was the most unfortunate man in the entire world. I fell to the ground on my knees and cried loudly. Just then Subbu too entered the school premises and rushed to console me.

"Subbu...I cou..couldn't find Bondita anywhere here.", I cried and further went on to say, "Bondita is in a big problem. Probably this is what my heart was indicating me since morning but I let go off the thoughts without doing anything about it. Only if I came at the right time to pick her up, I would have saved her. First of all, did she come to school? Subbu, I am afraid. What if something...hap..happened to Bondita? No, no, it can't be the case. I am alive, right. Bondita is fine. If something happens to Bondita, how can I excuse myself?"

"Calm down Anirudh, we will find her. Let's inform the police.", he tried pacify me while I continued murmuring.

"Do you know Subbu, there is a bell in my heart that rings whenever Bondita is in danger or if she needs me. The bell rang today too, but I was so busy to pay heed to it. I ignored it. I promised to protect her always. I told that I will be with her in light and in darkness, unlike her shadow. Yet, I couldn't keep up my promises. Your friend only knows to say big words but doesn't know how to live up to them. I am a liar. Anirudh Roy Chowdhary is a failure. Bondita's rakshak babu has died. I can't see my face if something happens to Bondita. I will not live in the first place, because she is the reason for my existence. She is the peace that my heart needs. Bondita is my pride, my greatest achievement, the plant that I am nurturing and my torch of revolution.", I confessed and cried inconsolably while my friend took my head close to his chest, rubbing my back.

"Anirudh, this is not the time to blame yourself nor to waste in crying. We need to search for Bondita at first.", he reminded.

Yes, the more time I waste, the greater harm to Bondita. I gathered myself and proposed to go to the day watchman's house to check if he knows anything about Bondita. We got his address from the night watchman and started. Just then a little boy came to us and asked, "Anna (elder brother), are you searching for the rasagulla akka (elder sister)?"

"Ra-sa-gulla? What? Child, we have to go urgently, I will meet you some other time if I am alive", I said patting his cheek gently.

"Anna, if you are searching for the girl who always eats rasagullas, then I have seen a man taking her away in a horse driven carriage. After school when akka walked out of the premises with her cycle, the man approached from behind her, and placed a handkerchief near her nose, thus making her unconscious. He then placed her in the carriage and left. I tried to stop and followed the carriage up to a certain extent but later I couldn't. I feel akka is in big trouble. I am waiting for a long time to see if anyone will come in search of her, so that I could inform the news about her", he said pointing towards Bondita's bicycle that fell to the ground beside the school gate.