Chapter 17 : A Goodbye

INAYA POV

"So" Zev rolled his sleeves up, "Let me go to the kitchen now."

He went into the kitchen, put the apron on and started unpacking the things Alina and Ethan had bought from the mart.

We don't have any idea about what he's gonna actually cook, so we have to wait until he's done. Maybe we should help him?

But he said it's gonna be a surprise. Although I and Alina aren't very nice in that part, still we could help in other chores I guess.

He was silently doing his job while I watched him from distance, sitting in the dining. Alina was in the sofa, with Ethan showing something to her in his phone.

I kept stealing glances at Zev while having a book in my hand, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. But at that time rather than reading the book, I was more interested in taking a gander at the kitchen and at my dear bestie and Ethan chatting on the sofa. 

Zev seemed very devoted in his work, so I didn't mind looking at him often until he looked up at me too. I quickly peeped in my book to find where the line was that I had been reading. Since I couldn't find it, I pretended to have a very serious face showing off that I'm pretty indulged into the story. 

I looked up again after 5 minutes just to find myself being embarrassed again. Why is he looking at me? Maybe he needs some help.

Putting my book down I walked up to the kitchen, "Do you need any help?"

"No"

"Are you sure?"

"You can come if you insist."

"Fine" I replied. Can't you tell me you need my help directly!

"What are you making?" I asked, "I should know if you want my help right?" I couldn't hold back the curiosity that what is he cooking for us.

"Nothing much just Macaroni cheese, Broccoli Chicken casserole, some meat loafs with celery soup."

I kept looking at him without blinking. Is he some kind of chef? 

"And" he added, "Since I liked the Reshmi kebab a lot yesterday, so I decided to give it a try." He smiled proudly.

"You are actually so talented, I could have never  made all these all by myself, once I tried making Macaroni but it sucked so bad that  Alina and I fell sick the next day " I nervously laughed.
"But don't worry, I can help you in other chores.. like.. umm... washing the dishes, handing something to you when you need and... preparing the table!" 

"Thanks, that will do a lot" he replied with a light smile.

ZEV  POV 

Tying her hair tightly she took the bowls that were needed to be cleaned and started her work with intense attention. While doing so, a lock of her hair fell on her face and she moved her hand to put it back at it's place. She kept on trying with her wrist since her hands were covered with soap all over, making it hard for her doing that. 

My fingers moved automatically and I slowly placed the strand behind her ear, which made her flinch under my touch.

She looked up at me being amazed and I retreated immediately. Those brown eyes of her had the power to drown me inside in it if I haven't averted my eyes soon. She holds a great personality, I need to admit this. 

Focus on the food Zev.

We both then focused on what we were doing. Putting the macaroni in the boiled water in the pan, I was stirring it when she asked, "Do you feel bad that your vacations will be over soon?"