The Little Demon Boy

It was a fresh, summer's Sunday afternoon – the day had reached its thermal peak, and it would be a couple of hours before the temperature dropped to anything below boiling. The market was full of people, their perspiration steaming off of them in visible curls, making the atmosphere so many times more unpleasant and warm than it needed to be.

Hongjoong was still more than a little shaken up from watching Seonghwa kill first-hand. After all, it had only been a day since it had happened.

Gods, that man was scary when he killed, Hongjoong thought as the memories of the incident of the day before quietly returned. It was like he became an entirely different person when he went into action, and he wasn't sure he liked it. He definitely preferred the Seonghwa he had known up until now. Seonghwa probably did as well.

Today, the two demons had headed out to the market to restock on food – of which they were running quite low on. Standing in the crowded street, it reminded Hongjoong of the first time the two friends had gone out together – a chilly day in April, when they had only just met.

As they usually would do, they split up as they reached the market, each buying different types of food – to maximise efficiency and reduce exposure to such a hot and sweaty and unpleasant day. Hongjoong headed to the butcher's, while Seonghwa went to buy groceries.

The bells atop the door to the butcher's jingled as Hongjoong opened the door and slipped in. John, the butcher, greeted him with a smile – as he always did – and the short demon returned the favour.

"Come to collect your order?" the butcher asked in his heavily accented voice.

Hongjoong nodded, and John ambled over to the back room, his large figure filling the narrow door frame.

It was just Hongjoong left in the shop now, and he nervously shifted his weight between his feet as he waited, staring at the various labels – pig blood, chicken blood, lamb blood – on the blood bottles. With so many hostile gangs, and Seonghwa being a part of them, he was always afraid something might happen to him – especially as his friend was one of the most high-ranking members of Cherries. And even more so because he was an assassin: a nuisance in other gang bosses' eyes that killed off people valuable to them – no doubt there would be a hefty price above his head, for his head.

Hongjoong knew that Seonghwa was perfectly capable of handling himself, but it didn't hurt to worry a little, right?

Thankfully, his worries were eased a little when he saw the familiar ash-grey head of hair bobbing up and down amongst the crowd of other Taerryans. As Hongjoong watched this, he caught a glimpse of the assassin's face. His brow was furrowed and it looked like he was searching for something – or someone. Hongjoong wondered what was wrong, considered rushing out and finding out, but then his friend turned and disappeared into a side alley.

Oh dear. Hongjoong hoped he wouldn't get himself into any trouble.

The sound of meat being plonked onto the counter behind Hongjoong jolted him out of his thoughts, and he jumped, his heart threatening to stop functioning from fright.

"Here's your order," John said with an amused chuckle as the demon flinched and turned. He took the heavy plastic bag stuffed with enough meat to last at least a fortnight from the counter, lifting it quite easily. John ogled at the little demon, surprised by how easily he held the load, despite its weight.

Hongjoong ignored his reaction, bid the heavy set brute thanks whilst placing 150 lykr on the counter, and headed out. He touched a bracelet to the bag, which, upon contact with the enchanted metal, immediately shrunk, folding in on itself until it was no bigger than a phone, and he tucked it safely into his satchel.