Chapter 8: Alone, But Never Lonely

Start from the beginning

"Shadow Man? It seems you like to dance with danger then, Miss Starkov?"

"I guess it runs in the family."

"Family."

The word barely escaped his lips. He said the word with such tenderness, so gently as if the concept would not hold if he said it any louder.

But what he did while saying the world was astonishing. I had never been more surprised.

He smiled.

A genuine smile - with teeth.

It was warm, full of life and lacking any burden. Even after my many years, centuries of life, I had never seen anything like it from him. He seemed to realise this as he quickly composed himself. Letting all the joy from seconds ago vanish from his expression.

"Speaking of family..."

"I don't know who my parents are," I finished for him.

It was my turn to turn the tables.

"But I know you have an idea," I pressed.

"Malyshka," I snarled.

I had his full attention now. I obviously had not been meant to hear that.

"But you must..."

"Do I? You even said yourself that you were not involved with a Starkov."

This silenced him. But he would not be silent for long.

I changed my tone.

"I do understand, though. The burden you must have. The loneliness of eternity..."

"Eternity. What makes you think I'm eternal?"

His frostiness was back, shielding him from the vulnerability he had experienced moments before. I had brought his guard down. I never thought that was possible, but now, after seeing this, I couldn't help but ask... What if we weren't so different after all?

"Well, I know that the Grisha live well over a century. Since you are the most powerful... I just meant... you probably have lived many centuries. What are you, 400? 500?"

His eyes were wide with astonishment, perhaps a bit of fear too? I had uncovered a secret. His expression held something primal. Feral. At this point, I felt unsafe.

"How could you possibly..."

"Well, aren't you eternal? Or will you come to pass, eventually too?"

His face was sullen, contemplating the gravity of my question.

"If it's true, then I am eternal too."

I noticed as his face took on another emotion.

Realisation.

With an undertone of something, I was all too familiar with.

Longing.

"I may not understand now, but I will know your pain eventually."

Oh, but I did. I really did.

He must have been distracted because what happened next was only more dumbfounding.

Tendrils of shadows reached for me, circling my wrists - claiming me.

The Shadows weren't menacing, nor were they a threat. I was startled by the gentleness of their touch. How comforting it was to feel their embrace. His embrace. I now felt the same ache from when the Darkling came to visit. But this time, I did not resist the feeling. I let it claim me, just like the shadows. I remembered something the Darkling used to say. Words of comfort for Mother, a warning to Alistair and me.

I looked at him, returning the hope and the longing he had let me see.

"There are no others like us."

And like an idiot, I continued.

"I will be one of the few."

"One of the few?" he asked with a newfound curiosity.

"Well, if I am your daughter like you say I am..."

"Who's to say your mother isn't out there too," he finished for me.

I saw as a new spark of hope washed over his features. Ready for the challenge ahead.

His gaze was like acid, burning me to the core.

"Who is the sun summoner?"

Oh no. I had messed up.

"A sun summoner?" I scoffed - a meek attempt to cover my mistake.

"That's just a legend..."

"Don't lie to me! You know..."

"I know what? What could you possibly expect me to say, hmm?"

I feigned frustration. Eight centuries allowed for some development of acting skills. But whether this would be enough to convince the Darkling himself? I had no idea.

"You are hiding something from me. I suggest you don't play games, Miss Starkov. You have made it clear that you know what I'm capable of."

I saw the bluff behind his threat. He was trying to intimidate me. In my time, I would have heeded that advice. That would have been the smart thing to do. The necessary thing.

However, here, in this timeline - yes, he was frustrated, a little mad. And yet, somehow, it wasn't directed at me.

Somehow, I just knew he wouldn't hurt me.