Chapter 66: Modern Day Life Lesson Forty Nine

Start from the beginning

Flashback--

It was during the lunch break, and Subaru and his friends plus the girls plus the girls' friends were eating lunch together. Eating in a larger than usual group, everyone was talking more lively than normal. "Ah, I just remembered. The information about the groups we get assigned to is released. Have you checked?" Shiori, the member of the Student Association, was bringing them first hand information of the school events as usual. "Oh yeah we have. Kinda sad that we got divided up in two different groups." Kotaha answered after swallowing the food in her mouth. "It was difficult dealing with all of the group assigning, wasn't it?" Nico said sympathetically, and Shiori smiled weakly.

"It was rather harsh frankly. There were numerous requests for regrouping and complaining emails about how the teachers decided to assign people to groups instead of letting us choose by ourselves. The teachers have their reasons but you can never make everyone satisfied when it comes to things like this." Shiori said, finishing her sandwich. "It is slightly disappointing, but let's look on the bright side. We get an extra day to do whatever we want for compensation! That's the day that we can all hang out together!" Nico said encouragingly, thinking about the fact that they got a four-day trip instead of three days and opening her second lunchbox. Nodding with her arms crossed, Kotoha turned to Emilia and the other three. "Another bright thing about the grouping is you four getting to be with Natsuki-senpai's group. I'm glad about that, Emilia-san, Rem-san, Ram-san, Beatrice-san." She said.

Emilia nodded with a small smile. "I am rather glad that we are assigned to Subaru's group too, to be honest." She said. "No doubt you are, Emilia-chan. I wouldn't feel safe if I got assigned to any of those people who, well, turned against you." Nico said, putting two karaage in her mouth at once. "Yeah the teachers actually were involved in this one, don't tell anyone though. But I feel it's fine that people know about this. Anyone who thinks they get to be grouped with you after all the crazy things that happened to you are downright shameless." Shiori said, sounding rather indignant. "I think we should talk about something else, minna. No need to remind Emilia-san of the horrible things she went through." Yui said, changing the topic of the conversation.

"It is alright. I can't always look back on what has happened, or I can never continue walking forward." Emilia said, holding her hands into fists, nodding and looking determined. "Oh oh! Nice one! Emilia-tan!" Subaru said, breaking the silence surrounding him and the other three twelfth graders. "That's some very admirable attitude, Emilia-san. You should've come a year earlier for us." Hinata said, laughing. "Emilia-san's being all positive and cheerful and you're rounding the conversation back to our shit? What are you? A masochist?" Haruka said with a frown and pinched his arm, and Hinata let out a yelp of pain.

"But you know having a positive attitude won't really help us though, Natsuno. What we needed was sheer force to fight against those suckers. The twins have that alright." Aki chimed in, giving a nod of respect at Ram and Rem's superb physical ability, and Haruka punched him on the arm as well, and Ram smirked. "Ha, be it your past bullies or our would-be predators, Ram will have them lying on the floor and begging for mercy in a blink of an eye." She said, taking a sip from her juice box. "Sasuga wa Nee-sama desu! Rem feels immeasurable reliability and reassurance from Nee-sama's words!" Rem said, beaming, and Emilia nodded with a smile again. "That is very reliable, Ram. But please don't do that, ne?" Emilia said. "Hai, Emilia-sama. Ram will make sure Emilia-sama is not within the vicinity when Ram has to put her words into action." Ram said, and the others laughed.

"She's not bluffing though, mind you. Nee-sama's the type of people who do what they say. And in this case she's already done it..." Subaru said, adding the last part in a smaller voice with a winced, remembering one of his deaths at Roswaal's mansion. "What is it, Subaru? You've been one of those people lying on the floor and begging for mercy in front of Ram-san?" Hinata asked, snickering. "Yes, I have, even worse." Subaru said, nodding with his arms folded. "Yes, Barusu wasn't begging for mercy but begging to lick Ram's shoes." Ram said, smirking again. "I hate that I have to remind you every once in a while that I am not a shoe-licking pervert!!" Subaru shouted, pointing an angry finger at Ram while Hinata and Aki were roaring with laughter.