A Day at the Beach

Some girls are just born with glitter in their veins. And just when you thought that you were the center of attention, we showed up. Because some girls turn heads, but me and my girls, we break necks.

"Hello?" I answered my phone, seeing the Arizona number that wasn't already in my contact list.

"Hi, is this Miss Babette?" A sickly sweet voice asked, dropping a stone of dread into my stomach.

"Yes, this is she. Who is this?" I asked, feeling my fingers beginning to go numb with anxiety.

"This is Shannon from Arizona State University. I'm sad to inform you that you've been dropped from our school," she replied.

"How the hell can I just be dropped from your school? I've paid for everything I was required to pay you!" I exclaimed, not caring if I woke anyone up.

"I'm not sure, ma'am, but you are no longer attending our school. You will be reimbursed for the money you sent us," she tried to reassure me.

"Fine, but it's yawls loss. You will no longer have the pleasure of knowing that one of the best actresses' of our time graduated from your college!" I yelled, hanging up the phone and then chucked it across the yard.

Before I could even think about it, I took off towards the barn, threw a halter on Loki, and took off bareback. As I raced by the house, I could see Tom come out of the front door and run back in when he saw I was running.

What the hell am I supposed to do now? I have no backup plan whatsoever. I refuse to go to community college, especially with my family's background with schooling.

 I refuse to go to community college, especially with my family's background with schooling

Tears streamed down my face as I raced through the fields on Loki. I could faintly see the property fence approaching through my tears. Without thinking, we leaped over the fence and ran over public fields. As Loki flew over a fallen tree, I lost my grip on the lead rope and flew through the air and struck the ground.

As I lay there trying to recover my breath, I could hear the thunder of hooves approach. I stared up at the sky, not worried about Loki because I could see him just on the edge of my peripheral.

"There's Loki, but where's Cadence?" Jay's voice questioned, not seeing me lying on the other side of the downed tree.

I lifted my hand up to show them where I was so that I wouldn't get trampled if they decided to go over the tree as well.

"Cadence, what happened?" Ramai yelled, jumping down next to me, trying not to chuckle as she looked down at me.

"For me to run? Or how I ended on the ground?" I questioned, looking up at her, also trying not to laugh even though my face was tearstained.

"Both," Tom replied with a slight chuckle standing on top of the tree.

"So, I'm no longer an ASU student, I have no backup plan, and I lost my grip on the lead rope as Loki jumped over that tree," I replied, sitting up.