Chapter 9- Reading

Max pulled himself onto the platform. He crept up to Minus, pulling the book off of his head. He jumped and backed off. Minus didn't move. I grabbed his hand, and we escaped unnoticed.

We slid down a pole to a purple part of the Planet. Sharkboy sat me down and sat next to me, clutching my icy hand tightly. He couldn't even warm it. I almost saw frost on my hands.

"First things first. Transportation out of here," Max decided, flipping through his journal. "My dreams. Lavagirl! You have a Lavabike!"

"I do?" Lavagirl questioned as a bike zoomed up to her. "I do! This is so exciting!"

"Sharkboy, your father really is at the bottom of the ocean," Max said sadly. "He's in a submarine. Looking for you!"

"He's over the hydrothermal vents. Mid-atlantic ridge. Forty-two degrees west by fourteen north. Depth, eighteen hundred meters. By a snake pit!" Sharkboy read.

"We have some diving to do, Sharky," I said, smiling.

"Not in that state. No, we're not going to rescue my father until you're your goddess-like self again," Sharkboy said.

I smiled at Sharkboy's compliment.

"What does it say about me?" Lavagirl asked nervously.

"Not sure what this says," Max muttered.

"I can figure it out! Maybe there's a section on my true identity," Lavagirl said, eagerly taking the book from Max's hands.

"Lavagirl, no!" Sharkboy said as the book turned to ashes.

"Oh, no. What have I done?" Lavagirl said, her reaction delayed.

"That's terrific, LG," Sharkboy said sarcastically.

She turned to Max, furious. "Why did you make me out of lava? Why, Max?" She stormed away.

Sharkboy stopped Max from following her. "Just let her cool down. She's just blowing off steam."

"Literally," I mumbled.

I sat by Lavagirl, taking her hand in mine. She looked at me with tears in her eyes.

"I know I can be good. I can feel it. But everything I touch, I destroy," Lavagirl said. "Why d'you make me like that? I have more potential."

"I'm sure you do," Max assured her.

"Then why d'you make all three of us a team? We're nothing alike. It might as well be Sharkboy and Aquagirl. When I'm near water, I fizzle out. She steams when she's near lava. When he's near lava, he shrivels. None of us are compatible!" Lavagirl raged.

"Your hair's on fire," Max noticed.

"Yeah, it does that," Lavagirl sassed.

"Come here," I said, sitting her down so that I could play with her hair. It was a little weird, but it wasn't. I cooled her off, my way of relaxing her.

"Maybe I really am evil," Lavagirl said. "So far, everything else you've dreamed has been correct. Maybe I just need to learn how to accept it."

"If you're evil, Lav, then you're the worst villain I've ever met," I joked.

"That's it! Everything I've dreamed so far has been correct. The crystal heart! Yeah, we were captured, but that's 'cause Minus doesn't want me to get it!"

Thunder rumbled around us. I shivered, feeling an icy cold wash over me yet again. Sharkboy held my waist as he checked his timer. His eyes filled with fear, glancing at me.

"We have to get back to the Ice Castle!" Max decided.

"Ten minutes left! We'll never make it! She'll never make it in five!" Sharkboy argued, motioning to me.

"We can do it!" Max said determinedly.

"How?!" Sharkboy and Lavagirl questioned.

"You're Sharkboy, Aquagirl, and Lavagirl. You can do anything."