Chapter 1- The Origin Stories

"Sharkboy was not always half-shark, half-boy. He was a marine biologist, or, at least, in training. His father studied great white sharks, and called his son Sharkboy, because of how much he loved to care for the sharks. He made them sushi and had given them all names. Goodmilk, Peggy, Eddbat, and Crackett. But one day, an incredible, mysterious storm appeared. It swept away the entire laboratory. Thanks to the life vests, Sharkboy and his father survived, but they survived on different sides of the wreckage. Each floating off in a different direction. Sharkboy was completely alone. Almost completely alone.

"A girl with blue hair and blue eyes emerged from the water. Sharkboy looked at her in amazement. She was his age, with a short bob of hair and gleaming blue eyes. She had sea creatures swimming around her. A shark nudged her, and she looked at him solemnly before disappearing into the water.

"The sharks took Sharkboy to their cave home, where he would be safe and dry. His new family were sharks. Hundreds of sharks. The sharks raised him as one of their own, training him in the ways of the shark. To live by instinct and instinct alone. Eventually, he grew gills and shark talons for claws. His teeth sharpened themselves to a point. He grew fins, all sorts of fins.

"But that was years ago. I first met Sharkboy while fishing on the dock this summer. He seemed lost. So I snuck him home when my parents were too busy to notice. I kept him fed and underwater. He had been traveling forever, in search of his father and the girl he called Aquagirl. He told me of his latest adventures on a planet so cool it makes you drool. He said I too could go to Planet Drool someday.
"Then one night, I was visited by a glowing light. An amazing girl with purple flames for hair, and skin of molten-lava rock appeared. Behind her, a girl with blue hair that went down to her back and a suit of silk that mimicked the ocean waves. Her eyes were an ocean of blue. I called the first one Lavagirl, and then the second one, I knew to be Aquagirl. Lavagirl smiled at me, for that seemed to be her name. She told me she needed Sharkboy to return to Planet Drool with her and Aquagirl, for a great crisis was developing. She asked if I could go with them. I told I have school tomorrow. She gave me a sad look and flamed away. Taking Sharkboy with her.

"I haven't seen Sharkboy and Lavagirl since then. I recently saw Aquagirl a couple of weeks ago. She told me she never returned to Planet Drool, as she would rather have them saving the planet than her. She controlled the ocean and loved to play with the sea creatures that adored her.

"And that's what I did this summer," Max finished.

The kids around us balled up paper and threw it at Max. I frowned at my friend, the one person I understood. He was the only person in the school who didn't act as immature as the average fourth-grader. He was a bit more grown up.

"Enough! Someone is picking that up, and it's not gonna be me," Mr. Electricidad said.

"We were supposed to tell true stories," Linus stated.

"That is a true story," Max argued.

"Does Lavagirl have special powers?" Marissa asked from next to me.

"There's no such thing as Lavagirl," Mr. Electricidad said.

"She can... She can shoot lava out of her hands," Max explained.

"Cool," Marissa said, smiling.

"How many people think Max's story is true?" Mr. Electricidad asked.

"Not true."

"Made up."

"Not true."

"It's just a made-up story."

"If it's true, why don't you bring those three to class tomorrow?" Linus suggested.

How I was tempted to splash water on my face.

"They went away. I don't know where they went," Max argued.

"Have a seat, Max," Mr. Electricidad said.

"It was a great story," I assured him as he walked past me.

He smiled at me before taking his seat in the back.

"Linus, you're next," Mr. Electricidad said.

As Linus got up, he tripped Max to the ground. I got up, shouldering Linus. He grunted as I held out a hand to Max. He took it, and we separated to our seats again. Max smiled at me from his seat.

"This summer, I made a new friend. Who was half-dork, half-boy. I called him Dorkboy. But his real name was Max. We had him for dinner, but he stunk so bad that we all blew chunks," Linus said, mocking Max.

"That's enough, Linus," Mr. Electricidad said. "Linus, Max, stay."

"Come on, Mr. E," Linus whined.

"Mr. Electricidad, exactly. Not Mr. Electric, Mr. Electricidadadadadad." The teacher looked at me. "(Y/n), you can wait outside the classroom for Max."

"Thank you, sir," I said, picking up my books and walking out of the classroom.

Outside the classroom, I waited for Max. I was his best friend, and he enjoyed having me around. I protected him from bullies, I had sleepovers with him, and his parents liked me.

Max walked out, and he grabbed my hand, walking with me to recess. The fact it was summer and his palms were sweaty was not helping my controlled transformation. A splash of water and I can control it with the very motion of my fingertips.

"(Y/n), we have band practice!" Laura reminded me.

"Sorry, Max, I have to go," I said sadly.

"It's okay," Max assured me.