Chapter 7- Sugar

"Alright, Max. You've had your cookies and milk. Now go to sleep," Sharkboy demanded.

"I'll try," Max replied, laying on the ground.

"Go to sleep," Sharkboy commanded.

"Not like that. Sing him a lullaby," Lavagirl scolded. "Dream, dream, dream, dream. Your turn."

"Oh no," I mumbled as I sat on a chocolate cookie.

"Close your eyes, shut your mouth. Dream a dream, and get us out. Dream, dream, dream, dream, dream, dream. Hit the hay, fast asleep. Dream a dream, you little bleep-"

"Sharky!"

"Dream, dream, dream, dream, dream, dream."

A shark-like motorcycle appeared out of nowhere, making me jump back. I smiled, knowing Max was learning about his new power. His face was still relaxed, so he was falling deeper and deeper into his dream state.

"It's working! Keep it up, Sharkboy," Lavagirl encouraged him.

"Don't inflate his ego," I teased.

"Just relax, lay about. Or my fist will put you out. Dream, dream, dream, dream, dream, dream. Take your time, but beware. There's darkness in the air. Dream, dream, dream, dream, dream, dream. Don't despair, step right up. Need some water, here's a cup. Dream, dream, dream, dream, dream, dream."

"He's having a nightmare! Max, wake up!" Lavagirl said.

"Max, wake up," I mumbled.

He jolted awake. When I said it like that, it was always time to get up for school. He sighed in relief when he saw me, grabbing my outstretched hand and helping himself up.

"Plughounds!" Sharkboy shouted.

Mr. Electric waddled over the hill. Plughounds surrounded him. I winced in pain when I tried to use my water. It was getting too much. My hands pulsed like it was trying to pump blood.

"This may come as a shock to you," Mr. Electric said. "Feel the power!"

We climbed onto the hovering bike desperately. I wrapped my arms around his torso and looked over his shoulder. I don't think he minded as he tried to turn the bike on.
He growled in frustration.

"It's empty!" Sharkboy said frustratedly. "Fudge."

"I forgot to dream of fuel," Max realized.

"Max!" Sharkboy shouted, furious.

"Relax," I said, kissing his cheek before hopping off of the bike.

Fury raged inside of me, boosting my willpower. Jets of water shot out of my hands. The three of us shielded Max, protecting him. I shot two away from Sharkboy, panicked. Pain shot through my body, but I kept my knees.

"It's up to you now, Max. Dream us out of here," Lavagirl said. She was in her lava form. "We believe in you, Max."

"Careful," I warned Max.

"A banana split?" Sharkboy questioned in disbelief. "Still hungry, Max? How about a knuckle sandwich?"

I kissed him again, grabbing his shoulders so I didn't fall. He kissed me back, almost smiling. I pulled away, looking into his eyes for any sign of disgust. All he did was smile softly.

"I might as well do that more often," Sharkboy teased.

"Bite me," I groaned, rolling my eyes as I walked away from him.

"It's a banana split boat," Lavagirl realized.

"Then let's split," Sharkboy decided.

We pushed the boat onto the river of milk. I shot water at the hounds, pushing them back. I fell back onto the boat, collapsing against the ice cream. I panted, trying to catch my breath from feeling like the air had been taken out of me.

"Aqua. Aqua, are you okay?" Sharkboy asked.

"Yeah. Just let me sit, please," I insisted.

Sharkboy nodded, turning to Lavagirl and Max. "Sugar will give you nightmares."

"How much time do we have?" Lavagirl asked.

"Don't ask," Sharkboy said, frowning at me. "Dream Lair's across the Ocean of Ice. We'll have to travel there by foot."

"What was it you saw in your dream, Max?" Lavagirl asked curiously.

"I saw an object. Shaped like... give me something to draw with," Max said.

Lavagirl stood up, holding out her fingertip. Max took her wrist and drew with lava that came out of her finger. It formed a heart. A look of realization filled our eyes. We knew it from anywhere.

"The crystal heart! That's the treasure in the land of ice. In the ice castle," Sharkboy realized. "It can freeze anything. Even time."

"I've always dreamed of freezing a moment in time," Max said, smiling.

"And the ice castle is ruled by The Ice Princess," Sharkboy said, glancing at me. "I hear she's the most beautiful girl on the planet."

Lavagirl shot lava at him on my behalf. I gave him a deadly glare.

"Ouch! Babe, I was teasing," Sharkboy said.

"She's cold, and cruel, and cares for nobody but herself," Lavagirl argued.

"You met her?" Max questioned.

"Multiple times to tell her to stop freezing me over," I groaned in annoyance.

"We need that crystal heart. But I need all of you to get it," Max cut us off.

Lavagirl let go of the cherry stem in annoyance. "Let's just hope this isn't a trap."