38

One month later.

They were all sitting in Taehyung's apartment. Yoongi was on the couch, Jimin in his lap, because of course Jimin was in his lap. Jin was in the chair, Namjoon on the floor in between his knees. Hoseok was on the floor leaning against the corner of the couch. And Jungkook was sitting beside Yoongi and Jimin, Taehyung perched in his lap, because of course Taehyung was in his lap. Where else would he be?

"Fuck!" Hoseok yelled, leaning forward to shove Namjoon, their thumbs going ballistic on the controllers of Taehyung's Nintendo Switch. "You're such a cheater!"

"I'm sorry you suck ass, Hobi," Namjoon laughed as Hoseok stuck out his tongue. Namjoon's character, Donkey Kong, was absolutely destroying Hoseok's, Isabelle from Animal Crossing, on Taehyung's small TV screen. 

"It's Isabelle! Her character is awful!" 

"Give me this," Taehyung yanked Hoseok's controller out of his hands and began working his magic. In seconds, Isabelle was kicking Donkey Kong's ass. 

"Wait! No! Wait! Taehyung!" Namjoon worked furiously at his controller, but it was no use. Isabelle hit Donkey Kong one more time and the game was over. 

Taehyung smirked, handed his controller back to Hobi, and leaned back against Jungkook. "What can I say? I'm a god."

"That's because all you do all day is play this game," Yoongi rolled his eyes. Jimin elbowed him and told him to be nice.

"That's not true," Jungkook chimed in. "He does me."

Taehyung and Jungkook high-fived. The group groaned. Taehyung loved it.

"Hey, I have a random question," Jin sat forward and wrapped his arms around Namjoon's shoulders, resting his chin on top of his head. Joon's hair was a light blue now and it suited him. "What did you guys think about us when you first met us?"

"Of course you'd ask that," Namjoon rolled his eyes fondly. "You just want to hear everyone tell you how handsome they thought you were."

"Okay, and?" Jin shrugged and grinned. "So you thought I was handsome?"

Namjoon laughed and nodded. "Do you not remember? I was coming over here to yell at you guys to be quiet. I was holding my ground until you showed up."

"Yeah?" Namjoon turned his head and looked at Jin. Jin smirked at Namjoon.

"It was like my brain stopped working," Namjoon looked up at him and pressed a kiss to his chin. They all groaned collectively in feigned agony. 

"Yoongi's next!" Jin declared, everyone's heads swiveling to look at Yoongi. The mint-haired boy glanced nervously at Jimin still in his lap.

"Well, I, uh," Yoongi cleared his throat. "I thought Jimin was the prettiest person I've ever seen."

Jimin's cheeks pinked as he leaned into Yoongi. Their fingers intertwined. Apparently that was all Yoongi felt like saying, and apparently it was all Jimin needed to hear. Jimin whispered something in Yoongi's ear that made his face turn red. That was a sight they didn't see often: Yoongi's face heating. Taehyung grinned.

"Jungkook's next!" Jin patted Jungkook's knee. Taehyung swatted his hand away. "Tell us how handsome you thought Taehyung was."

The corner of Jungkook's lips lifted in a smirk, but the curve fell when he locked eyes with Taehyung. He took a deep breath.

"I think I fell in love with Taehyung with the first note he left on my door." Taehyung's grin vanished. "His handwriting is pretty, like the kind your grandparents have. All curvy and neat. That first note, when he said he liked the song I sang-it was Wild by Troye Sivan-I knew."

Taehyung stared at him. Did... did he just say what I think he said?

Jungkook just kept going, the words being vomited from his mouth, like they had been pent up for weeks. A dam bursting.

"And when I first saw him? Christ. It felt like my world shifted. Have you guys looked at Taehyung? He should be painted with the finest oils and his portrait should be hung in museums."

Taehyung gaped. They all gaped. They had never heard Jungkook talk like this. Taehyung got little snippets of it here and there, but he was never like this.

It felt like the tension in the room thickened to an almost choking amount. No one seemed to notice the turmoil going through Tae's head, because why did he just say that, right now, of all places, in front of all of our friends?

Did Taehyung even feel the same way? Of course, idiot. You know you do. Jungkook may have said he fell in love with you with the first note, but you fell in love the first time you heard his voice. Even hidden behind the wall, his voice was all you could think about. It brightened your days. You looked forward to it every time you came home. It was his little gift, just for you.

Jungkook was beautiful, inside and out. He was charming. He was talented. He was captivating and so caring. 

But he absolutely did not want to have this moment between them with an audience. Taehyung felt a pang of annoyance in his chest, and then a pang of guilt for feeling annoyed. But how could Jungkook do this to him? In front of everyone?

The silence dragged on to an uncomfortable amount of time. Taehyung couldn't meet Jungkook's eye, or anyone's for that matter. Jungkook's hands dropped from where they were wrapped around Taehyung's waist.

"Well, I think it's time for some alcohol," Hoseok announced before standing. Everyone seemed to release a breath, except for Taehyung.