Chapter 16: Mother's Day

Keith pushed open the glass door leading outside the apartment complex, taking a deep breath of fresh air. The cool breeze blew around his black locks and calmed his tense nerves. Keith shoved his hands in his hoodie pocket, trailing his way down the sidewalk.

He was out in the bitter May weather to go to the park. Keith wasn't willingly leaving his house, he had a photography project that he needed to take landscape pictures for. If Keith had a choice, he'd just edit something from his high school photography days, but this project was different. He's never struggled so hard to come up with something for a photography assignment.

"Keith!" A small voice called, drawing his attention. He whipped his head around, looking in the direction the familiar voice came in. On the balcony stood Willow, holding onto the railings. Lance sat behind her in the patio chair, silently watching over the older male. "Hi!"

"Hey, kiddo!" Keith called back, waving to the small girl.

"W-Where are you going?" she asked curiously. During this time of year, Illinois started to feel not so miserable, the snow melting away and the weather warming up. Willow favored this time of year for the nice weather and blooming greenery, so she spent a lot of free time outside.

"To the park, I've got an assignment," Keith responded, lightly shaking the camera hanging around his neck as a gesture.

Willow's eyes lit up, asking, "C-Can I come with?"

Keith chuckled a little, shaking his head a little. He had no objections to that idea, knowing he wouldn't mind the company. "As long as it's okay with your dad," he said, looking up at that younger man. He could see Lance scoff, brushing a hand through his hair.

Willow turned around, looking at Lance with pleading eyes. "C-Can I? Please?" she asked quietly, moving closer to her father to lean against the chair.

Lance sighed, looking down towards Keith. He thought for a moment, eyes trailing back to his daughter. Willow held that begging look, knowing it persuade her father. "Okay, fine," he muttered. Willow's eyes lit up but before she could celebrate Lance continued, "You are not to leave Keith's side, do you understand?"

"Y-Yes!"

"You do everything he says and don't wander out of his sight," Lance stated firmly. He knew that Willow was going to listen to Keith no matter what, but he still felt the need to remind her. Lance just wanted to make sure that she was safe. "And no talking to strangers!"

"I know, Papa!" Willow whined, becoming impatient. "I'll be-be good. I promise."

Lance brushed some curls out of her face, nodding his head. Willow was always good, he never had to worry about that. "Go on then," he said softly. "Zip up your hoodie and put on your tennis shoes."

"O-Okay! I will," Willow replied before pulling the screen door open and dashing into the apartment. She made her way to the coat closet, searching for her sneakers.

Lance stood to his feet with a groan, stretching his arms behind his head. He walked towards the black painted railing, leaning against it to get a closer look at Keith. "Are you gonna protect my daughter?"

"Like she's my own," Keith spoke confidently.

Lance fought the urge to smile at that response, simply saying, "Good."

He knew he could trust Keith with Willow, Lance was sure of it. They've known each other for months now, so Lance trusted that Keith could look after Willow alone. And even if he was joking, Keith always did protect Willow like she was his own daughter. Lance didn't have to worry about Willow in Keith's hands.