Chapter 10: Euphoria

"Watch your step," Keith mumbled, grabbing both of Lance's hands to keep him balanced.

Lance giggled as he nearly slipped. He followed Keith's lead, stepping up on the wooden desk placed under the open window. Keith helped Lance crawl through the open window, holding onto his forearm as he stepped up onto the shingled roof.

Lance nearly lost his balance at the uneven levels of the roof, thanking God Keith was holding onto him. He took a second, looking out into the open air. Lance was facing right towards the moon, which was clear as day from this high up. He could look out and see nearly half of the campus. Lance's mouth fell open, taking in the view for all he could.

If Lance kept his gaze to the front he could see the tall, old buildings that laid on the college campus. If he turned to his left he could make out other frat houses and a highway in the distance. When Lance turned to his right he could see some of the Chicago city lights.

Everywhere he turned was a beautiful sight, even in the darkness of the night. Lance felt like he was on top of the world, looking out to all of Chicago. He smiled, looking above him, making out a few faint stars.

Lance was for once enjoying the cold weather of Illinois. He inhaled deeply, taking a breath of fresh air. Lance no longer felt like he was suffocating in a sea of people, the open space around him calming his mind. The music also wasn't nearly as loud on the roof of the frat house. He didn't have to yell back and forth to have a conversation. Lance was actually happy to get out of that stuffy house, finding the roof to be a lot more enjoyable than the inside.

Keith lead Lance over to the back of the house, keeping their fingers intertwined so Lance didn't slip. "Watch for ice," Keith mentioned, not wanting Lance to fall twenty feet.

He lead them over to another window that looked out to other houses. This window was lifted, leading into the attic. Due to the fact that it was lifted from the rest of the roof, it had its own separate shingling above it. The separate shingles provided a little bit of coverage from them to sit under. It also was the only area on the roof not covered in thin layers of snow and ice.

Keith took a seat, leaning back against the closed window. Lance followed his lead, sitting down on the roof next to Keith and pulling his knees into his chest. He watched as the black-haired boy pulled out the same bag of marijuana, opening it up and pulling out a single rolling paper.

"How do you know about this place?" Lance asked, watching as Keith began to carefully roll a joint.

Keith chuckled a little, saying, "This is my brothers house, and his roommates are grade A douchebags... Finding places to escape the chaos is my specialty." He ran the tip of his tongue against the adhesive on the paper as if he was sealing an envelope, rolling it over tightly and twisting the end.

Keith passed the now rolled joint to Lance, checking his pockets for a lighter. Lance hesitated before carefully taking the joint in his hand. He was almost shocked at how perfectly it was rolled, evenly shaped with the paper smoothly laid. Lance couldn't help but wonder how much experience Keith had with weed. It took a little practice to roll so well.

"So you and this weed thing... is it like an addiction or...?"

Keith threw his head back in laughter. "It's medically prescribed to me," he mumbled, finally locating a lighter inside his jacket pocket. Lance gave Keith a look, gesturing for him to continue. "I have like... severe anxiety. I'm not dying from cancer or anything."

Lance nodded, understanding what Keith was saying. When Keith turned to Lance with the lighter in his hand, Lance placed the joint in his mouth. Keith cupped his hand over the tip of the joint and placed the lighter underneath it. He sparked the lighter till it finally lit, burning the end of the joint.