Chapter 8: Killjoy

"No, Pidge," Lance groaned into the phone, flopping down on his bed with a frustrated sigh.

"Aw, come on, Lance. It'll be fun!" Pidge cheered, hoping to persuade Lance in any kind of way.

"Yeah, I highly doubt that," Lance scoffed, rolling his eyes despite the fact Pidge couldn't see it.

Pidge didn't need to see the eye roll to know what that smart-ass tone in his voice meant. "Jeez, when did you become such a stick in the mud?"

"I am not! I just have priorities!" Lance shouted in his defense.

"You can't put your priorities aside for one night? It's just one small New Year's Party," Pidge mentioned, not giving up any time soon.

For the past week, both Pidge and Hunk have been harassing Lance into attending a New Years' party Matt's college friend was hosting. They begged and pleaded about a million times and Lance shut down each attempt. They knew that Lance was easily peer pressured and he was naturally social. This is why they would have never guessed that Lance would be so stubborn when it came to one simple party.

It was currently New Year's Eve, around four in the afternoon. Willow was napping on the couch, falling asleep after a couple of episodes of Teen Titans (the original one, of course). Lance had been working on taking the Christmas decorations down when he got a call from Pidge. That was about an hour ago, so Pidge has been hounding Lance since three o'clock.

It's not that Lance didn't want to go to the party. If he was being honest it sounded kind of fun. Lance couldn't even recall the last party he went to that wasn't some kid's birthday party or strictly family. He had to be in high school when he last attended a party like that. That alone said a lot considering Willow was born in his Junior year. The main reason Lance was refusing to go was that he didn't feel it was a responsible decision.

Although Lance was still young and in the very prime of his adult years, he knew he had to have the mindset of a middle-aged man. He was a father after all. A father with a full-time job, an apartment, and a car to make payments on. He had responsibilities at this time in his life. As much as Lance wanted to spend one night acting his age, he couldn't, he had to be grown. Lance couldn't live the normal life that other twenty-two-year-olds were living. He couldn't spend his days partying and getting so drunk he can't tell the difference between red and yellow. Lance needed to be an adult, a father to his daughter.

"And what do you expect me to do with Willow for the night, hm? Have you thought of that?" Lance asked. He would never, ever leave his daughter unsupervised while he went out to a party. And it's not like he could bring his toddler to a fucking frat house.

"Take her to Veronica's or Marco's," Pidge suggested.

"At a party and out of town."

Pidge sighed, feeling as if Lance was just pulling excuses out of his ass now. "Your parents would watch her. And don't even tell me they wouldn't because we both know they love Willow far more than they love you."

"Yeah, amazing idea, Pidge. What do expect me to do? Show up at my parent's house and just hand them Willow? 'Hey, would you mind watching your granddaughter while I go get shitfaced?' That'll go over so well!" Lance nearly yelled, becoming far too frustrated to continue this conversation. He didn't understand why Pidge and Hunk wouldn't let this go. Why did Lance need to attend this party so badly?

"Yes! That's exactly what you should do!"

"No!"