Chapter 6: Snowy Day's

Willow's glitter-covered black boots crunched in the snow. She buried her small hands in the pockets of her black winter coat. Even if those tiny hands were dressed in fuzzy gloves, they were still numbly cold.

The small girl was out in the harsh winter conditions on a mission. Willow was determined to make an igloo no matter what it took. Despite her hatred for the cold weather and piles of unwanted snow, Willow wanted to create a snow sculpture more than anything.

It was the weekend and she didn't have school, meaning she had two full days to complete the best igloo ever seen. Willow got the inspiration to make it while watching 'Where The Wild Things Are' with her father. The second Lance nodded off, Willow was tugging at his arm to help her get her snow gear. Lance was surprised at first, knowing they shared the same dislike for winter, but he didn't question her.

It's been about an hour since he layered his daughter up in long johns, gloves, snow pants, earmuffs, anything to keep his baby from catching a cold. Lance offered to help his daughter, but she denied it, claiming this was something she could do on her own. Willow knew working with snow would be a challenge, but by God, she was determined.

Now, she sat on a small hill of snow, warming her hands before going to build another brick of snow. Lance was peacefully sitting on the balcony with a warm cup of coffee in his lap, watching to make sure the child was safe. If anything, he'd rather be sitting inside snuggled up on the comfy sofa, catching up on missed sleep. Even so, he wasn't about to let his daughter play outside in the outskirts of Southside Chicago without any supervision. Besides, he didn't mind watching the five-year-old waddle around in the snow while putting her artistic skills to work.

If anything, he thought the whole situation was adorable, and Lance was more than excited to see the finished product. He knew all too well that when his daughter set her mind to something, it was going to happen. She was stubborn as hell and kept a certain goal in the front of her mind till she achieved it. That was one of the many things Lance loved about Willow.

When Willow's hands finally recovered from their numbness, she clumsily stood to her feet and marched back over to the circle of built-up snow she had going. The set perimeter was awfully small, probably four to five feet all around, but it was enough to fit her tiny body so she didn't care. Willow gathered snow into her fabric cover palms, packing it together to create a small ball. She built on the ball by adding more snow and ice till it finally made a small box shape. Willow placed it on top of the others, creating a third row to build around.

She then repeated the same process of gathering snow, shaping it, and adding it to the igloo. Willow began to place the bricks diagonally, slowly beginning to form a dome shape. She powered through the pain of freezing hands, wanting to finish the third row before taking another break. Willow was excited to start and complete the first row going inwards, hoping it'd finally start looking like an igloo.

The small girl's attention was drawn from placing another snow brick due to the sound of the front door opening. The small beeping had the girl's head spinning in a second. She turned to face the glass door of the apartment complex, watching as a familiar black-haired male exited the building.

Willow's eyes lit up at the sight of Keith, focused on his phone. She smiled, watching the slim boy trail his way through the snow-cleared path. Her excitement grew the closer Keith got to her, opening her mouth to call out for him.

She quickly silenced herself before she could speak a word, an idea coming to mind. A small smirk made its way onto her face, giggling to herself. In a swift motion, Willow placed the snow brick in its rightful place before moving to grab more snow. She piled up a bunch of snow in her hands before packing it together tightly. Willow added more snow and shaped it into a small ball.